to it any more, I'm used to the feel and
drive accordingly, tho my wife looks at
me with great consern every time it goes
BANG !!, and I just ignor it
;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 11:36:44 AM by wildgoody »
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
Re:  Lock-Right Lockers for Sidekick
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2003, 05:37:02 PM »
I had a lock-rite but  after talking to some poeple I now wheel with ,I ended up spending a few more bucks for the ARB (Plus you will have an onboard air source). Its there when you need it and no X-tra wear on your tires or drivetrain especially if you use it for a daily driver.But thats just my 2 cents.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Natebert

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 03:59:15 PM »
I had a lock-rite but  after talking to some poeple I now wheel with ,I ended up spending a few more bucks for the ARB (Plus you will have an onboard air source). Its there when you need it and no X-tra wear on your tires or drivetrain especially if you use it for a daily driver.But thats just my 2 cents.

I'll admit, we too took our out spool and are opting for the ARB air locker.  The eventual extra wear on tires and axle shafts wasn't worth the savings on a cheap solution.  (We coulda had an ARB installed for the price of tires and axles, gear oil and labor we spent in the past 8 months maintaining the spool).

~Nate

Offline brlj

• 6" Lift w/ 33x12.50 TSL Radials, Exoskeleton
    • Bills 93 Tracker
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2003, 12:14:31 PM »
I have a spool in mine and have drive it to work and back with no problem. With the air pressure at 25psi it would kindof jump and squeal going around corners so I upped the pressure to 35 psi in the rear and I have none of the squealing or jumping. It runs real smooth now. Really I cant even tell its locked up on the street, but in gravel I can. The ride is more stiff at 35 psi but I dont mind.

Later,
Bill

Offline 97TRAKIN

• Suzuki in Chevy clothing.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 06:13:22 AM »
Hey all, :)
 I was wondering, is this lock-rite operation similar to how a Detroit gearless works, or is it a completely different principle? Was wondering cause a rear locker is on the winter project list for the sami.  Any pro/cons between the two would be helpful.

The Detroit geraless locker is one of the smoothes if not thee smoothes automatic locker out there (Not counting the GMC GovLoc.) There is no clicking and little to no banging. It's like a limited slip and a locker in one. Instead of gears it uses clutch packs (can you say smooth operation! ;).. For those of you familier with motorcycle wet clutches. Think of it as a spool with a wet clutch pack on the ends of the spool where the axle shafts enter. As long as your traveling in a straight line both clutch packs are engaged. If you turn left, the right clutch pack will disengage allowing the right wheel to spin faster than the left and vis versa. It's also adjustable. You can change the spring rates so that if the locker is chirping the tires to much in the turns a lighter spring rate may help. The same rules that apply to other automatic lockers (Not counting the GMC GovLoc) apply to the Detriot Gearless also. The one exception is that you get away from the clicking and banging. The GMC GovLoc is a locker that runs as a open diff untile one wheel spins out from loss of traction. It then trasfers power automaticaly to the wheel that has traction slowly untile 1)The vehicle starts moving.  2) Full lock up is acheived. It uses governors and flyweights (Not air or electricity). It also will not lock at all at speeds above 25mph so road manners is not realy an issue. If only they were available for Zuks. I hope this helps. Sorry for going on so long but i get excited with technical stuff lol....  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 06:18:05 AM by 97TRAKIN »

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2003, 02:54:14 AM »
I don't know about all you guys and your lockers.  I think i will stick with my mini spools.

Offline Twins

• Tracker?!?
    • Site
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2003, 11:15:01 AM »
My Tracker sways around on and off the gas when going straight too.  If I'm cruising at 55 in 5th and let off and get back on it ("it" being what an 8v can do) it dives for the ditch and the other lane.  That may be a little exaggerated, but this is my first locked vehicle and I think I would go ARB if I had the $. But I'm not familiar with the strength of them maybe someone can chime in on that.

You get used to the clicking and banging after awhile and sometimes I expect my other rides to do it.  You sort of expect to hear it on every corner.

But if you do anything off road it's amazing.  I've had the rr off the ground in 2wd and it just keeps motoring along.  With the tires and locker in my Tracker you would have to be pretty stupid to get stuck.

But I keep trying! 8)
91 LSI  29X11.5 SSr's 3"body-2"suspension lifts.  Rear Locker.  Cal Mini header-no cat-2" exhaust.  Viper Yellow Duraliner.  Ice cold A/C!!! 50k actual miles
Stripes (I didn't do them) ARE GONE!!!!!!!
92 GMC Typhoon my SUV for good roads...."stock"? try me.

Offline Natebert

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2003, 11:21:01 AM »
Being locked in the rear end, no matter which choice you decide to go with, is definately awesome at times.