Hello Guest

Custom Frame (lots of pictures)

• 28 Replies

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
Re: Custom Frame (lots of pictures)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2003, 02:25:22 AM »
The flames were on the truck when I bought it and my wife loves them.

Keep the wife happy and the Trackers happy.  Besides I like to stand out.  That's why I have a Tracker and not a everybody has one Jeep.
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline Fredo

• Heavy music and Suzuki 4x4!
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2003, 03:44:48 AM »
It's very close to an 6" suspension lift hehe! in the midle of the tracker but not in both ends. gaz tank lift???

My father say: You can't drive it on the road anymore!

Fredo
Proud member of the C.A.B.L (coalition against body-lifting) 2002 GV

Offline Natebert

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2003, 03:57:59 AM »
Great Job!
This mod is EXACTLY what I looked at doing to the 4 door this last summer.  We ran out of time and energy though, maybe next summer.

You should form a more complete/formal write-up and see if Eric will put it with the other write-ups.

Truely awesome,
~Nate

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2003, 04:09:31 AM »
beat me to it.  o well i still got one mod that none of you (i think) have yet.  anyway  it looks bad ass. i can't wait till i finsh mine at the end of the week.  a few ???.  what did you do about the exhaust and how long did it take you?  lata stu

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
on the WheRe: Custom Frame (lots of pictures)
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2003, 05:25:58 AM »
Wow and really 'out of the box' thinking. Isn't this considered the opposite of 'channeling' a low rider? LOL

Was the welding an arc or mig?

When doing this work, and while you were debating about the whole thinking, what were your options or other ideas?

Thought about raising just the body frame mounts and removing the body lift blocks? Some full-size Ford friends have done this as it makes room for the 44's with minimal lift on the front cab mount.

Did you think about removing the body lift, then lowering the suspension mounts with custom bracketry and lowering the spring mounts?

Lastly, are the most front and rear body mounts still with the body lift blocks?
Lenexa, KS

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2003, 05:33:56 AM »
Forgot to add, is that some sort of rock skid on your rockers?
Lenexa, KS

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2003, 07:33:39 AM »

You should form a more complete/formal write-up and see if Eric will put it with the other write-ups.

Truely awesome,
~Nate

Yep, this is a good idea that needs further exposure and exploration. There have been a lot of good ideas put up on this forum.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2003, 11:29:43 AM »
Chunk and I have debated over this mod for over a year now. It ended up being that we just didnt trust our welds as much as Suzuki  :-[ We were also afraid that it might feel more tippy. How does it feel with the motor higher? I also did a long arm rear but I went up to the next hole in the frame. I love it. I also left the upper alone. LIL TRUCK, Did I meet you at the melt 2 years ago?

Mike
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 11:30:29 AM by Mikerpm4x4 »
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2003, 02:28:15 PM »
The Ideal pivot point for the trailing arms would be
right at the same spot the output of the trans is,
both hight and length, if you know what I mean.

This keeps the drive shaft from needing to slip
in and out of the trans, or if SYE (slip yoke eliminated)
the drive shafts slip splines.

Dirt Bikes use this type of idea to keep the chain from
getting tight on the compression part of the suspension
cycle.

Problem might be long arms get bent on rocks tho.

WOOHOO   500 Posts !!!
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Mike71

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2003, 03:20:06 PM »
i wouldnt tell calmini u altered there product =) they are super anal about that( totaly understood about them being anal)

just be careful =) when ur rock crawing now..i remember i read somewhere someone said..when i go bigger i wotn get stuck other guy replied..when u go bigger u will get stuck easier because u think u are to big to get stuck =) lol
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003, 03:25:10 PM »
Hi Mike, and yes we did meet at Zooki Melt a couple years ago.  I saw you last year but never made it over to say hi.  

It doesn't feel any tippier than before I did the work.  The motor and trany is so light that a 3" raise didn't change the CG (center of gravety) at all or very much.  Also I don't run with a sway bar so I should if it added any I really would have noticed.

I know what you mean about trusting your welds.  I started out with Dune Buggys and built my own buggy from the ground up.  Bent most of the tubing and did all the welding myself.  10 years of hard abuse (As much time in the air as Mikes rig for sure), it's still holding together!!

Anyways the welds are long and a lot of area so I've not worried about them at all.  I only have a 110 mig welder and it does a great job on stuff like this.

Beleave it or not the frame work was the easy part.  It took me two days (by myself) to cut the frame out, rework it and weld it back into place.  It took about another week or so of work to do the rest.

Little stuff like the exhaust.  Lifting the motor and frame brought most of the exhaust into line.  The tail piece which was only a year old of course didn't fit right.  I cut it off with a little sticking out of the muffler and again between the two major bends.  I then got 2 $1.5 exhaust pieces, slid the pieces together with them.  Aligned the tail piece where I needed it and rewelded it into place.

The front and rear section of the frame still has the Calimini 3" body lift on it.
96 Tracker
32 MTR's Warn 8000i

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2003, 03:31:19 PM »
Yea, I also have some custom rocker gards!!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 03:33:05 PM by lil_Truck »
96 Tracker
32 MTR's Warn 8000i

Offline trackinstile

• Too young to quit........Too old to change........
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2003, 06:06:21 PM »
Wow, you did a phenominal job!!  I was ready for you to say that this took 2 months or something ;D  You did a real clean factory looking job too like you said, after a little mud and dirt, you'd never know.  Looks real good,   Dave
A wise man once said, "Wherever you go...........There you are.............." 2000 Tracker 4 door with the 2.0 liter "Big Block". 5 speed 4WD  2001 XL-7 EX II

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2003, 11:05:56 AM »
Besides I like to stand out.  That's why I have a Tracker and not a everybody has one Jeep.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE MY ZUKE AS WELL...MY OLDER BROTHER WAS ALLWAYS TRYING TO SELL ME ON A JEEP..BUT AROUND HERE EVERYONE HAS A HEEP ...BUT IN A ZUKE  PEOPLE ARE CURIOUS TO ASK QUESTIONS  ;D