Hello Guest

XL-7 Rear Axcle Shaft Info

• 4 Replies

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
XL-7 Rear Axcle Shaft Info
« on: December 25, 2003, 07:07:15 AM »
Well, I received my axles, r&p, and diff housing off a 02 XL-7 auto. The spline count is 28. The axle shaft is actually tapered 2 times. The overall diameter using a digital micrometer is:
Splines: 1.104"
1st Taper: 1.397" (4" from spline tip of axle shaft - both shafts)
2nd Taper: 1.551" (22.5" and 25.375" respectively different length shafts). 2nd taper is right at the snap ring near end of shaft. This holds the anti-lock ring (maybe pressed on) and pressed bearing in place while the flange cap is bolted to the rear axle.
Lenexa, KS

Offline Yankee Tim

• Who says a GV is a grocery getter?
    • Yankee Off-Road
Re: XL-7 Rear Axcle Shaft Info
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 02:01:52 AM »
Splines: 1.104"

That's it?  I thought the sidegears looked a lot bigger than that.  That's a little depressing.  That's about the same size as a D30/D35.  Hmmmmm.  A Ford 8.8" and most Ford 9" is only 1.20" and 28 spline.  Hmmmm.

All Mitsubishi trucks use a 1.20" 28 spline.  Too bad that the GV wasn't the same.  Might be options for us.
Yankee Tim

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 02:36:52 PM »
That sucks :-/  Guess it's  time to start look at custom axles.  Anyone know any good places to start with.
George

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 02:26:07 PM »

That's it?  I thought the sidegears looked a lot bigger than that.  That's a little depressing.  That's about the same size as a D30/D35.  Hmmmmm.  A Ford 8.8" and most Ford 9" is only 1.20" and 28 spline.  Hmmmm.

All Mitsubishi trucks use a 1.20" 28 spline.  Too bad that the GV wasn't the same.  Might be options for us.

I recheck tonight and found that if I use near the end of the micrometer finger(?), the overall diameter at the splines is 1.125". The 1.104" comes when the axle is placed in the middle of the length of the finger. (I used a tape measure at first, and it was 1-1/8", but I figured you had to take into account the width of the line. So I assumed the 1.104 to be correct.)

To add, here's a thought. Since it's a drop out housing (haven't unwrapped it yet, but will tomorrow), with a 9" ring gear (you've mentioned previously), if the housing mounting is similarly shaped and same thickness, and mounting holes equal to (or enough off to redrill), what would be the odds that a Ford 9" drop out housing would fit into the Suzuki axle housing?

RPMMIke, could you provide any dimensions of the Ford 9" for comparison to that of a XL7 rear axle drop out housing?
Axle centerline to mounting surface distance to get depthness?
Axle centerline to overall height of bolt pattern?
Overall shape, if circular, outer diameter? Inner diameter?
Diameter (if circular) of mounting hole pattern? Degrees for the holes?
Lenexa, KS

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 10:40:35 AM »
are you going to get the sizes of the R&P ??  The 1.12 may be more do-able I hope.  Time to start looking again  :)
George