Hello Guest

Ignition Wire Sets

• 9 Replies

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
Ignition Wire Sets
« on: December 31, 2003, 12:02:32 PM »
I'm looking to purchase the NGK Wire Set as I feel it is time to replace my stock cables.

What do you guys think of the NGK set?  What wire sets do you guys use and/or recommend?

Thanks for any info.

Offline Z3bra

Re: Ignition Wire Sets
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 01:14:29 PM »
I've got that set.  (assuming you mean just the plain vanilla oem replacement NGK set).  Should be blue with resistor wire markings on the wires.

Frankly, I think It's crap.

The wires don't fit well, some are too short, some are too long, the coil wire in particular is too short.  I've tried swapping em out but no matter what you do they're either too long or too short.

They're also pretty noisy in terms of EMI/RFI suppression, I get nasty engine whine just going under overpasses if I have my radio on AM.

I'm probably going to cannibalize some MSD Super Conductor (just copper actually) wires I've got and use them.  Not sure they're any magic bullet, but the NGK set I've got is again, crap as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure there's any thing better out there of your typical parts store variety but I'd look at other stuff first if you have the option.  Bosch maybe or I dunno what, pretty much any 4 cyl set that uses socket type ends on the distributor and straight boots would work, might want to just open some boxes till you find a set that you can route better than the NGK set does.

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 01:50:53 AM »
Oh wow dude, thanks for the info!  I'm going to look carefully at all that stuff you pointed out.  My local parts store carries a crap load of Niehoff wire sets, anyone know anything about those?

Offline Z3bra

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 02:02:51 AM »
No clue on the Niehoffs, probably just OEM replacement stuff I'm guessing.  You have to go to a speed/hot rod shop for the better ones usually.  

I'm just not a fan of resistor wires anyway, they all wear out over time.  It's just a cheap and dirty way to suppress EMI/RFI.  Something like Magnecors or MSD Superconductors that's a helical wound conductor instead of a carbon impregnated "conductor" just makes more sense to me.  The Accel 8.8 wires are also the carbon variety unless they've changed em recently, in which case I stand corrected.

The downside is that good wires aren't as inexpensive as the parts counter sets are.

Probably gonna be shelling out some money this week for a new set myself but I think I'll just order another 6 feet of bulk MSD super conductor and some new boots and terminals since I have the MSD crimper already anyway and some wire leftover from the last set I did.  

They're a little more time consuming since you have to assemble them yourself and you can get universal import kits for around 60 bucks or so, but here's a secret.  Just buy one of the 8 cylinder MSD wire kits.  Make sure you get the straight/multi-angle type plug terminals and either straight or 90 degree socket style distributor terminals.  They have some that are the GM HEI distributor type terminals which won't work on our vehicles.  Anyway, the dirty little secret is that for about the same price as the generic 4 cylinder import set that MSD sells, you get enough wires to make 2 sets so you either have spares or if you have another car that doesn't need the funky type terminals like some DOHC cars can you now have a set for that as well.

Magnecors are about the same price as the MSD's or a little bit more, but they only sell custom tailored sets as far as I know.

Either of those are pretty good wires, just stay away from stuff like Nology or any other of the "capacative" type wires, that's purely marketeering and doesn't do anything except lighten your wallet.  I'm not sure about the quality of the Jacobs stuff either, opinions on the Jacobs products in general are either really good or really bad.  Given the pricetag though I think I'll just stick with the MSD's or Magnecors.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 02:08:31 AM by Z3bra »

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 04:27:34 AM »
Cool man, thanks for all the info!

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 12:45:42 PM »
I ran niehoff for years, dont last more than two.  I had some fail at 6 months   >:( (canadian tire) theyre sht.  Go to a dealer and pay the little extra.  
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 04:21:37 PM »
What you recommend bandit86?  Yeah Canadian Tire is where I get most of my stuff...but I try and stay away from the cheap stuff.

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 01:34:22 AM »
God damn Canadian Tire....all they have are the Niehoff wire sets for the Sidekick! BS I tell you!  They have Bosch and Accel for other makes and models but that's it.

Can anyone recommend a good online autostore for these sort of things?

Offline brlj

• 6" Lift w/ 33x12.50 TSL Radials, Exoskeleton
    • Bills 93 Tracker
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 02:10:43 AM »
http://www.jegs.com

http://www.summitracing.com

Heres 2 mailorder companies I use.

Later,
Bill

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 04:13:54 AM »
I just placed an order through AutoZone for a BOSCH wire set.  Autozone delivers to Canada which is great because there are not many auto stores here.  :-/