Hello Guest

lower fill on the aluminum same as steel? Vitara 1999 need to raise for oil

• 5 Replies

Offline kayakkeith

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I know that the 99 Vitara aluminum diff had the fill plug too low so that the car has to be tilted up to get enough fluid in. I am converting to a steel housing off of a 1999 Grand Vitara. It looks to me that it may have the same issue. Did the lower fill outlet issue apply to both aluminum and steel front diffs?
Thanks
1999 Vitara 3 door 5 speed

Offline kayakkeith

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I know that the 99 Vitara aluminum diff had the fill plug too low so that the car has to be tilted up to get enough fluid in. I am converting to a steel housing off of a 1999 Grand Vitara. It looks to me that it may have the same issue. Did the lower fill outlet issue apply to both aluminum and steel front diffs?
Thanks

Online fordem

Based on that image I would say it's applicable - measure the height difference between the fill & drain plugs on both diffs, if they're that same then yes.

Having said that - I see what appears to be a "diff drop" bracket fitted, that is going to rotate the front of the differential downwards, further aggravating the situation - it not only lowers the fill hole, it also raises the pinion compared to the remainder of the diff, so that the pinion bearings are even more likely to be starved of oil - you might need to lift the nose of the car even higher to get a "correct" oil fill.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline kayakkeith

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I see what appears to be a "diff drop" bracket fitted, that is going to rotate the front of the differential downwards, further aggravating the situation - it not only lowers the fill hole, it also raises the pinion compared to the remainder of the diff, so that the pinion bearings are even more likely to be starved of oil - you might need to lift the nose of the car even higher to get a "correct" oil fill.
Thanks Fordem. yes they look to be exactly the same location and yes with a diff drop it is going to have to go even higher. Hmmm. I guess I would lift it until the diff is "level" with the ground and then lift another 20% or so. That is going to be pretty high.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
A thought...are you disassembling the steel diff before installing?  If so, it would be nothing but a thing to install a new fill plug higher than that original unit.  How much higher?  Well, that is a good question.  Is there any information out there as to a capacity amount of lubricant that the diff should have put in to be at a sufficient level?  If you knew that, it might be able to help you figure out where a new fill plug might need to be placed.  An absolute beating of a method of getting more fluid in would be forcing it in thru the breather tube.  I personally would prefer the beating to trying that method though.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline kayakkeith

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
You hit it on the head. In the end I lifted it as high as possible and filled it by measuring using the specs in the shop manual that match the owners manual.. Then I finished up through the breather tube. It worked out and I am super happy with it. thanks to all for the assistance.