Hello Guest

Newbie - Questions about Suzuki & Parts Availibility vs Grand Vitara / Tracker

• 4 Replies

Offline loomis

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Hi.

So let me start by saying that I'm not a mechanic, but I am interested in owning historically well-built, thought to be somewhat "bulletproof" vehicles, whether that be an old Volvo 240, the 2001 Accord that's my daily driver, or the 4.3L S-10 my dad drove 400k miles.

Anyhow, my mechanics (two different unrelated guys, who are both excellent life-long mechanics) said recently when I asked about Suzukis (because I had seen an SX4 for sale that was really inexpensive with really low miles) to "never buy a Suzuki," because of parts availability.

At that time it never crossed my mind that the 2nd gen Grand Vitara in the USA was the same as the Chevy Tracker. I always loved that body style, similar to the original RAV4's. So I never was able to ask them this because quarantine happened...

So my question is, is the 2nd gen Grand Vitara the *one* early to mid 2000's Suzuki that's safe to buy because all the parts are both cheap and readily available GM Autozone type parts?

And if yes, of the 98-05 (that's 2nd gen, right?) models, which years are the parts most getable, and which years are the most reliable? I had read some years had timing chain tensioner issues? Were there 2wd models? Are they all 4WD or are the AWD? I couldn't find clear answers online.

Thank you!

Online fordem

The reason you're being told to not buy a Suzuki is a very good, very simple one, a couple of years ago ASMC (American Suzuki Motor company) decided to opt out of the North American market, "orphaning" their cars & trucks, although they still support their motor cycles and marine products.

Curiously enough, although GM is still around, they have not supported the Trackers to the same level as Suzuki has supported their vehicles, treating them as the proverbial "red headed step-child", and for many years folks with Trackers have been keeping them running with Suzuki parts.  Yes, parts available from Autozone, RockAuto et al, and also from online sources, such as megazip.net, but like any other older, out of production vehicle, they are going to become harder to find as time goes by.

Although I am something of a Suzuki enthusiast and have no intention of parting with my 1998 second generation Grand Vitara any time soon, when my daughter who lives in Florida (I live in Guyana, South. America) if I would buy her a Suzuki in Florida, the answer was NO, and the reason is the same one that your mechanics are telling you not to buy one - part availability and finding someone to work on it.

I would say that it does not matter what year second generation you get, parts availability will not change significantly, in terms of reliability - in the US it's going to be a toss up - they didn't get the second gens until 99, by which time Suzuki had ironed out most of the early production bugs, timing chain issues are a matter of proper maintenance and can affect any or all years, 2WD drive models were available, but I can't think why you would want one. 4WD is part time, not AWD.

Historically well-built, near bulletproof, that sounds like a fitting description for a second geneartion Grand Vitara.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline loomis

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
FORDEM,

Thank you for your detailed response. What you described is exactly what I was I was afraid of. I had incorrectly assumed that if any of the Suzukis in the US had good support, it would be the Tracker / Grand Vitaras, because of the GM connection, but unfortunately that's apparently not the case.

While I had been wanting to find a good Suzuki forum to post my questions in for quite some time, what finally pushed me over the edge to actually do so was the fact that around the corner from my house is a one-owner, very very clean, 78,000 mile, early 2000's (I think) Grand Vitara for sale. I believe the sign in the window said they were asking $3150 for it.

I was thinking about jumping on it, but then the thought struck me again that I had better find a good Suzuki forum and post my questions first.

Now I know to pass on that vehicle. But if any of you are interested, I can go back, see if it's still there, and get you a phone number. I am in Akron, OH.

Thanks again

Online fordem

Looking back at that post, it's somewhat more negative than I meant it to be - if all you're looking for is a daily drive, then yes, it's probably a good idea to look at other brands - BUT - if you're looking for a good, compact 4WD with low range - Suzuki is pretty much the only thing on the US market - I have a second gen and also a third gen, some folks may take me to task for this, but I think the second gen is the more capable off roader, whilst the third gen, with it's AWD is more sure footed on paved surfaces.

As I mentioned earlier, I like my Suzukis, and recently, when an LJ50 (one of the original two stroke Suzuki 4x4s) popped up on facebook marketplace locally, I was hard pressed not to go and drag it home - my wife has one rule regarding these purchases - it MUST be able to move under it's own power.  The LJ50 was my introduction both to Suzuki & 4WD and I'd love to own one, but this one was just too far gone.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline loomis

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Thanks for all of your help again. Yes, I was thinking for more of a daily driver, and I had hoped that maybe the Tracker connection was my saving grace. I knew that some of those Suzuki's were very well built, but I can't go on chasing down parts whose supply dwindles more and more with each passing day. I'm gonna have to look towards an old Rav4 or maybe something odd like an Element instead. Thanks!