Hello Guest

White smoke at idle

• 1 Replies

White smoke at idle
« on: May 10, 2020, 11:47:56 PM »

Hello all, I have an 86 Sami with a 94 1.6L 16valve. I have had no issues until now. At idle I’m getting white smoke from the tail pipe at idle, when I give it throttle it goes away, weird thing for me is it’s a little hit and miss. The temp gauge reads normal, my resivor tank was a little full, no water in the oil. My coolant level was 2 drinking bottles of water low when I first checked, I added water and it’s hit and miss on the smoke, I am getting moisture in the tailpipe, but engine runs fine with no sputtering or bad performance. I was assuming head gasket but I’ve also read maybe pvc valve or valves out of whack. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Online fordem

Re: White smoke at idle
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 06:15:57 AM »
Water vapor is a normal byproduct of the combustion process and the presence of moisture in the exhaust is not necessarily indicative of a problem - is the coolant level continuing to drop?

Also be aware that whilst water can be used as a coolant, it's not the best choice - once you've resolved any issues causing a loss of coolant (which may or may not be head gasket related - I see no cause to suspect a failed gasket at this point), consider replacing what is in the engine with the appropriate mix of coolant.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny