Hello Guest

Need tech specifics regarding turbo install on 93 8v Tracker please!!!

• 6 Replies

Offline bravehelioss

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I have 93 Tracker 8v 5 speed and of course want more power!

Can anyone direct me to a parts list, a comprehensive how to on installing a turbo on the Tracker? After so many years and countless (I assume) attempts at modifying these vehicles, someone must have some up to date info on this! My other option is to install a 16 v 1.6 from a 4 door Sidekick at my disposal but this swap would require swapping out all of the wiring as well which after removing all of the wiring from the Sidekick... That is a a lot work to repeat correctly for the Tracker!

Come on guys, turbo geeks unite and let's hear from y'all!

Online fordem

Re: Need tech specifics regarding turbo install on 93 8v Tracker please!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 05:16:13 AM »
I dare say swapping the 16v in would probably be not only less work, but also more reliable.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 12:07:19 AM »
I want to go h25a or h27a or even a j23a but i decided to keep my g16b and boost it. I ordered a kit from kimi van geppsi on Facebook. It uses the small k03 turbo found on audis and Volkswagen's.

Alot of guys overseas modify these engines. I heard the 16v has the strong pistons but there are a few weak links. So i plan on the following

Arp head studs
Arp main studs
Arp rod bolts
Forged rods
Multilayer steel head gasket
New valve springs
New bearings rings seals

For the engine management the fmu wont do the trick for me. Id like to tune the computer. So ive been researching some guys online. They swap the honda intake manifold, Honda sensors,  honda distributor, then chip and socket the honda ecu. So you can have a junkyard stand alone ecu. Plus the honda intake manifold flows better.

I plan on 18psi or so 200hp is my goal with a low redline. A few guys online far exceeded that. Ive seen 400whp g13bb and g16b in other areas.

https://youtu.be/pitqQXTKycw

https://youtu.be/7hCAf40wzrc

Id say swap the 16v in and boost that. The g16b is so under powered in this lwb sidekick. Its about 90bhp even with 5.12 gears and a reduction on the transfer case its a slow pig. Up hill and highway passing is near impossible in this car.

I still haven't decided if im going to swap the honda related parts or run a stand alone ecu like the aem ems4 or a haltech 550. A few guys swap the Mitsubishi cam angle sensor and run coil on plug with honda ecu or stand alone. Thats the best for retarding the ignition timing under boost. Plus you don't have to worry about the cap and rotor

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 06:39:59 AM »
I'd have to see the dyno printouts before I'd believe 400whp from a G13bb.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 11:24:44 AM »
I'd have to see the dyno printouts before I'd believe 400whp from a G13bb.

https://youtu.be/7vj-nyn2v0M

Few good buddies of mine tune hondas 1.6 into 900hp+ sounds impossible but they do it. Wonder what the volumetric efficiency is on that lol

These g13bb blocks with g16b heads seem to be the Suzuki setup. Guys in Puerto Rico spoon fed me some information to make the engine take the abuse too. I wrote it in the other reply.

I heard they prefer the g13 vs g16 because of the rod to stroke ratio. The g16b has more stroke so it doesnt rev high reliably. We all know engine rpm is a big power adder. So they use the higher rev 1.3l block so they can rev past 7k.

You can look up baleno engines online or baleno turbo and more information pops up. Ive been searching in Spanish and other languages so the search engine pops up more on topic turbo information.

https://youtu.be/CEkxCvsWwzU
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:26:16 AM by Toys-n-Joys »

Offline Tracktor

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 03:45:02 PM »
I really am going to do this install.  I have a 94 8v that I put tracks on for the winter and at 9k feet it has about 30% power loss and I need the extra power.  I figure putting a turbo on to make the air act like sea level should not be a big risk to the engine and make my life better.  A link to the build for the tracks is here: https://www.fixkick.com/bbs2/Suzuki-bbs/showthread.php?tid=2527

I plan on the following any anyone with some turbo on one of these please chime in. 

1. Use a used K03 Turbo or a EGAY china turbo for about 100 dollars.
2. Buy this header for the K03 Turbo http://www.zuksoffroad.com/Complete-8V-Turbo-Log-for-13-and-16-Gas-or-Propane_p_1663.html
3. Exhast Exit tube for the Turbo from same place.
4. T into the oil pressure port for oil line to turbo
5. Drill and tap the oil pan for the return.
6. This guy says a 10:1 Fuel Management worked.  I am wondering though if I just run it 3-4 PSI at high elevation why would I need to boost the fuel as the computer should just think I am running it at sea level?  Any feedback from anyone on this? https://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=102514.0
7. Not sure at this point if the K03 needs water plumbed and how I would do that but need to figure this out.

Want to run it at 3-5 PSI to get sea level or slightly better performance up in the mountains.  the tracks take a bit of umph to push around and I end up running the machine in 4Low most of the time.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:50:08 PM by Tracktor »

Offline eddieturbo2

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:46:18 AM »
Well, you are on the right track with the parts list. If you have a welder you can make or modify your own manifolds / downpipe. I just slapped an Amazon K03 turbo (75 bucks lol) on my 1.6 8v last night and I used a equal length K03 manifold designed for a 1.8t. That motor is just slightly wider but I was able to make a small pie cuts on the outside runners to tuck it in and re-weld it onto my existing header flange. But a log manifold would be fine as well. Saves time.

I used a tube for the oil pan return. Just welded that it as well. I did it towards the rear of the pan so I could stay away from the power steering pump, oil filter and motor mount. Rear of the pan was much easier to deal with and pan installs nicely in my 1.6 8v swapped samurai.

I have an 12:1 FMU installed but have no idea if it is enough. I have not installed my wide band yet but hopefully that gets done this week or next. I haven't dared boost it yet until I am sure what it is doing fuel wise.

Having a tig welder was key for me to make it all work.

Oh. I also ran water in my K03 turbo. It had the provisions for it so I figured why not. It would help on the trails and anything I can do to keep it cool is a plus. I used a hose and fitting kit from eBay designed for K03 turbo specifically. Mamba is the company and the lines are really nice quality. About 100 bucks but totally worth it because it just saved time for me. I did not want to be back and forth to the store trying to find metric patterned fittings and hoses. They have ones for 1.8t specifically or a universal kit. I used the universal kit and it worked perfectly.

Note: I connected my water lines to the small 3/8s hose located behind the water pump. Hopefully that works flow and cooling wise. I know Miata guys do a similar connection with there turbo installs.

Downpipe was a tight fit with 3 inch but doable with a few pie cuts and a pre maid 90 degree fitting.

My spark plugs will be fun to change but. They will require wastegate removal. But that's easy on a K03. I am sure the premade log manifold would make that a non issue.

That covers it for the mechanical part.

The challenge is the tuning and timing. Hopefully I can get it sorted out easily. Unless someone has some details to help me on my ghetto FMU tuning journey?

I will post some more pictures later when I get home.