Hello Guest

ALH Swap Into Samurai. Not sure if this is the right place....

• 1 Replies

Offline aksportsman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Hello all!! I recently acquired a 1987 Sami with 80,000 original miles. Super clean, for $500. Then I found a 2002 Jetta TDI fully loaded with 130,000 on it for $1200. The transmission is even good so ill probably make money by parting it out. The best part was he included a spare low mile 11mm injection pump for free ;D. So these two now need to be married :-* and I need some guidance. Ive found several good threads on the same build, but have a few questions... I want to just do the bare minimum for lift as I just want a good solid daily driver, not a wheeler, so 3" suspension and just decent a/t tires. What gearing should I use with this swap? Also was considering using a Toyota tranny over the Sami one. Just got to look at lengths and such. Can anyone speak of a good tranny suggestion for this application? Also I found a good forum  for the wiring harness to get rid of the unnecessary stuff, but any suggestions would be great! Also I keep seeing conflicting forums on whether the various conversion companies make motor mounts for this application. Can any one confirm which company sells what? A lot of the posts I found were old, so some things may have changed. For now I am going to try and keep the current injection setup, until I get to frustrated with the wiring harness and go to m-MDI(I actually think  it will go alright. Reason being is that this is just a daily driver not a wheeler so I want to keep a lot of the sensors and still keep the ability to chip 8). If anyone has done something like this, or knows of good suggestions on where to take this post, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jeff

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: ALH Swap Into Samurai. Not sure if this is the right place....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 11:05:52 AM »
That is a sweet little Sami!  Very great find.  Good luck with your swap.  If I was going to do a motor swap, that is probably the one I would choose.  Your gearing choice will probably ultimately be tied to the tire size you want to use.  You will probably be better off getting the rig together and driving with that final tire size choice before you pick gears.  If you do that, you can experience how the thing drives out in your daily life and decide what changes need to be made.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!