Hello Guest

Tracker-Limited slip

• 10 Replies

Offline wuggie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Tracker-Limited slip
« on: February 16, 2004, 05:47:24 AM »
Have an "03 Tracker, auto, I'd like to install a posi/limited slip unit in rear diff. any suggestiions based on practical experience.
I upgraded the tires to to 235/70-15 all terrain type.
It's mostly street driven w/about 20 % off-road, hunting/fishing etc. I've had all types of 4-wheel drives in the past and was impressed with the Trac's ability and gas mileage.  Now my bud's are all over me about the roller skate I have and w/a posi unit I think this will shut them up once and for all.
Thanks!

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
Re: Tracker-Limited slip
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 08:13:07 AM »
It would the same LSD unit as for a 12 bolt rear sidekick.  Calmini has them http://www.puresuzuki.com/limited_slip_diff.htm

Geogre

GRVIT

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 04:30:22 AM »
I have installed the Calmini LSD in the front axle (10-bolt) of my sidekick.Works fine.I m satisfied.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 04:31:01 AM by GRVIT »

Offline ppltrak

• zukspeed staff
    • zukspeed.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 04:49:16 AM »
Hey grvit, does it steer OK for you. I remember you had some questions on lockers/steering. :)
94 purple/green splash tracker w/ calmini 3' heavly modified lift 32 11.5 r15 bfg m/t's  & custom air induction and header w/ 2"exh. no cat lockrite rear 2" B/L and a heavy right foot and now 583s steel up front and locked.
2002 GV 2.5l 4.5 ZN lift locked on 31's

Offline speedytang

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 06:43:05 PM »
Does anyone know the manufacture of the LSD that they sell.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 10:31:05 PM »
I believe that they are OE Suzuki items as fitted to the X-EXEC models
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline sarmeier

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 12:46:56 AM »
I am just going thru the pain of installing an ARB in the rear of my 2002 Tracker 2 dr.  It is not a drop in replacement!  In either 2000 or 2001 the carrier and ring gear were were redesigned.  The result is that the carrier is smaller than the earlier models and the inside diameter of the ring gear is also smaller.  This means the ARB and I assume the LSD from Suzuki (the one Calmini sells) is too large to fit inside the ring gear.  To make it work you have to get a third member from a 98 or older with a 12 bolt ring gear.  The vendor I bought the ARB from sold it as a drop in fit!  This "drop in" has cost me an extra $450!

Also,  don't believe what Chev tells you that the gear ratio is.  Mine was advertised as a 5.12 but it turned out to be a 4.60!

After a lot of calling around and getting conflicting information, I got hold of Hawk Suzuki who installs lockers/LSD in Kicks and Trackers and they know what has to be done.  I would strongly advise a call to them.   Also, Calmini knows what it takes for the LSD, talk to Steve, not one of the phone answerers.   Calmin told me the front 10 bolt LSD will fit the new models.

I also learned the hard way what works in a Suzuki doesn't always work in a Tracker.

GRVIT

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 03:27:51 AM »
Hey grvit, does it steer OK for you. I remember you had some questions on lockers/steering. :)

Yes steering is o.k.The only difficulty is when you have the hubs locked without 4wd.Then you can feel that when you are entering a turn,you have to put a little bit more strength to turn steering wheel.And even if you turn it you must be carefull after exiting the turn to put a little more strength again to bring it to the straight position.If hubs are locked and 4wd engaged,the previous minor problem does not exist,just the steering wheel is a bit "heavier".

GRVIT

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 03:37:07 AM »
I am just going thru the pain of installing an ARB in the rear of my 2002 Tracker 2 dr.  It is not a drop in replacement!  In either 2000 or 2001 the carrier and ring gear were were redesigned.  The result is that the carrier is smaller than the earlier models and the inside diameter of the ring gear is also smaller.  This means the ARB and I assume the LSD from Suzuki (the one Calmini sells) is too large to fit inside the ring gear.  To make it work you have to get a third member from a 98 or older with a 12 bolt ring gear.  The vendor I bought the ARB from sold it as a drop in fit!  This "drop in" has cost me an extra $450!

Also,  don't believe what Chev tells you that the gear ratio is.  Mine was advertised as a 5.12 but it turned out to be a 4.60!

After a lot of calling around and getting conflicting information, I got hold of Hawk Suzuki who installs lockers/LSD in Kicks and Trackers and they know what has to be done.  I would strongly advise a call to them.   Also, Calmini knows what it takes for the LSD, talk to Steve, not one of the phone answerers.   Calmin told me the front 10 bolt LSD will fit the new models.

I also learned the hard way what works in a Suzuki doesn't always work in a Tracker.

Well I know that Calmini sells LSD for 10-bolt ring and 12 bolt ring.I have a 10 bolt in my front diff.My rear diff-ring is 12 bolt.I also have Calmini 5,83:1 r & p's,but I believe the LSD will also fit he stock ones.Cant see why not.If this helps you ,when I was looking for ARB I got the following answer from www.drivetrain.com.(sidekick-Vitara 2001 model-1.6L-26 splines)
"Discussed your application with ARB tech support they indicate that if you are using the stock differential in your Calmini (Anvil)  then the RD88 will work.  The rear ARB positraction for the rear is RD79 if you have 26 spline axles in the rear."
Hope this helps.

Offline Yankee Tim

• Who says a GV is a grocery getter?
    • Yankee Off-Road
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 12:27:13 AM »

Yer shittin' me, right?  They changed the f'ing carriers?  Why?  That explains why you had probs and I didn't.  I have a 2000, and it's standard kick stuff.  Why smaller?  I mean, they run v6's in them now.

Or is this because they are maybe doing the changes on purpose so they can't be built for off-road?  I mean, why change what works?

Oh, if it's a 2-dr Tracker auto, it prolly is a 4.62 gear, just like when it was a Kick.  Stoopid that they changed the carrier size.

But is that all?  Are the axles the jap 26-spline?  Will they match a older Kick carrier?  If so, why not, grab a Kick rear 3rd and add that?  Stick Kicks (5.12) are easy to find and cheap, and would get you lower gearing to boot?

Or is that what you are already doing?

*don't mind the idiot behind the green curtain*
Yankee Tim

Offline sarmeier

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 04:31:34 AM »
Yer shittin' me, right?  They changed the f'ing carriers?  Why?  That explains why you had probs and I didn't.  I have a 2000, and it's standard kick stuff.  Why smaller?  I mean, they run v6's in them now.

Or is this because they are maybe doing the changes on purpose so they can't be built for off-road?  I mean, why change what works?

Oh, if it's a 2-dr Tracker auto, it prolly is a 4.62 gear, just like when it was a Kick.  Stoopid that they changed the carrier size.

But is that all?  Are the axles the jap 26-spline?  Will they match a older Kick carrier?  If so, why not, grab a Kick rear 3rd and add that?  Stick Kicks (5.12) are easy to find and cheap, and would get you lower gearing to boot?

Or is that what you are already doing?

*don't mind the idiot behind the green curtain* "

It appears the change was made when the 2 litre came out.  In addition to the ring gear inside diameter being smaller, the carrier dimentions change a little also.

My Tracker is a 2 dr 5 speed but had a 4.63 in it, not  the 5.12 as advertised!  Hawk Suzuki and most likely Calmoni (talked to them earlier on a LSD) were the only ones that seemed to know what was going on, RRO didn't, who I got the ARB from.  Hawk said to get a third member from a 1998 or earlier 12 bolt and it would work.  I did and it did.  But, I had not planned on the extra expense.  RRO had told me the ARB would work on the 2002 without having to use another third member, etc!  I am trying to negotiate with them on covering some of the extra cost, doubled the cost) because of their lack of knowledge was a cause.  Not much luck with that yet!  RRO did offer to have the ring gear machined to fit over the ARB but after talking with Hawk and several other folks, i decided this was not a good way to go.  The other dimensional differences in the carrier was too graet a risk that even with a larger ring gear inside diameter, things still would most likely not fit.

I had the 26 spline axel.