Hello Guest

Where to start?

• 9 Replies

Offline RifleRide

• Mentor a Child!
Where to start?
« on: February 23, 2004, 02:35:22 AM »
I just got to get started converting my stock '89 sidekick to a real back woods machine, but where do I start?  I think I need a lift before I get the mud tires, what is out there and what is best bets for the bucks? Give me some starting pointers, please!!

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 02:40:24 AM »
I did the suspension lift first, that will cost
you more, But I think the body lift is more
involved with the shifters, altho it will cost
alot less to do, then you can use some
spacers on the springs and flip the front
strut mounts to give a little more travel.

That should be a good start.
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 09:40:43 AM »
I had a friend I hadn't seen in a while show up this weekend with a beater Tracker that someone gave him.  

I think it was an 89.  Lot of rust.  Anyway, he removed the front fenders, made a PVC snorkel.  Used a 2" Jeep spring spacer in the front and TJ springs in the back with longer shocks.  Then spooled the rear end.

He then had 31x11.5 Boggers on it.

It was a true back woods beater.  He had a riet in it.  But about 1/2 way through the day we slid off the trail and got the right rear tire cought in a wire fence and proceded to snap an axil.  Still was able to get it out of the woods under it's own power for the most part.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 10:01:31 AM by lil_Truck »
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 10:23:32 AM »
BEST BET IS TO DECIDE WHERE YOU WANT THE END PRODUCT TO BE....SUCH AS HOW BIG A TIRE YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO RUN....DO YOU WANNA ADD A BIG BUMPER AND WINCH UP FRONT, CALMINI 3" LIFT...  NO PLANS FOR THAT THEN THE CALMINI 2 " SUSP. LIFT WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE...ADD THE 3" BODY LIFT AND YOUR OFF TO A GOOD START....BUT THEN THERE'S LOWER R&P GEARS IF YOU GET A BIG HEAVY TIRE ...ROCK CRAWLER GEARS FOR T -CASE .....IF YOU WANNA ROCK CRAWL....UPGRADED CLUTCH ...LOCKERS....ETC. THERE ARE SO MANY DECISIONS TO MAKE, MONEY AND TYPE OF RIDE YOU WANT TO HAVE ARE THE DRIVING FACTORS IN MAKING YOUR DECISION......GOOD LUCK ...KEEP US POSTED OF YOUR PROGRESS..DONYT FORGET TO TAKE A FEW SNAP SHOTS & POST THEM........MATTY D.  ;)

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 10:25:28 AM »
LIL TRUCK..........THAT SURE DOES LOOK LIKE A BACK ROAD BEATER.......THOSE ARE THE BEST KIND YOU OR SHOULD I SAY I WOULDN'T HAVE TO WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT BREAKING IT  ;D    ......MATTY D.  ;)

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 10:31:09 AM »
I know, he was beating that thing to death.  I wouldn't mind getting something like that just to beat todeath.
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 10:40:37 AM »
I KEEP ON THINKING THAT MYSELF ...WHEN I SEE THOSE 500$ BEATERS FOR SALE  ::)  

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 11:59:24 PM »
First, if you think you MIGHT go to a Calmini Anvil (STEEL front axle housing), go with the Calmini 3" suspension lift - it's required.

My VERY FIRST mod was the Calmini header for the 1.6/16 valve - I also put one of these on my daily driver (a 4-door 95 Sidekick).

Next was the 6" Calmini combo-lift, the Calmini front winch bumper, and a Warn M6000 winch.  Warn premium manual hubs.  Then came the rock-sliders - I had mine custom built by Spidertrax.  Then full belly armor, and steering stabilizer.  I put Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's  - 31 X 10.50 under it, on 15X8" rims with 2-3/4" backspacing, from Spidertrax.  The Safari Snorkel came from Rocky Road.

When it was available, I got the Calmini rear swing-arm bumper, and when they FINALLY released the Anvil, I upgraded to 26 spline axles, 5.83 R&P's and ARB Air Lockers front & rear.

I just got my Calmini 4.24:1 Transfer Case gears last night.  Still need a roll cage, a new clutch, and new exhaust.  Oh, and a bikini top.  And a Tuffy 063 Oversized Security Drawer, in the place of the back seat.
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline LBC4x4

• 1992 4door 3" body 1"coil spacers 31x10.5
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 02:47:05 AM »
I started with a limited budget and got the 3in body lift along with one inch coil spaces on my four door and that was a great start. I run 31x10.5 on 2.5 backspacing with no rubbing with some fender triming. It has been holding up great and I am amazed at where it gets me. Also the low cost has alowed me to buy old man emu struts and shocks and warn premium locking hubs.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 01:26:42 PM »
           I started off with a clean Visa and visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.
      what we're we talking about?
  Okay I'm back.
I started off with the 6"inch Calmini lift and 31" Pro-Comps X-terrain (bad tire choice).
Thats a good start.

95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD