Hello Guest

1986 Samurai Stock Hitachi Carb Flooding Going Uphill

• 1 Replies

1986 Samurai Stock Hitachi Carb Flooding Going Uphill
« on: July 10, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »
I have a stock 1986 Samurai with original Hitachi carb setup. It has run fine for many years. Just this past month it has started to die when I drive up the hill to my house (it dies at almost exactly the same place on the hill each time). It seems like it runs out of fuel, however, it might also be flooding. Sometimes there is gas coming out from the base of the carb and a slow gurgling noise as if the carb is continuing to draw gas even though the engine is off, but sometimes it seems like the  carb has run dry. I ran a can of Sea Foam through the system (added to fuel) thinking the float might be stuck or needle/seat gummed up and also put some Berryman's ChemTool directly into the carb and let it sit for a while.  Neither attempt fixed the stalling but it sure did improve the general performance of the vehicle. On flat ground it seems to run just fine (though it did die one time on a flat road in the same manner--when I finally got it to start the carb was definitely loaded up with fuel and it took several seconds to clear the system of excess gas). I don't want to do a tear down of the carb if it isn't necessary, but can't think of any other options.

I have looked at the other posts here but added mine because it is a stock Hitachi carb setup and not a Weber nor modified Hitachi system.

Thanks!

Offline 3006mv

Re: 1986 Samurai Stock Hitachi Carb Flooding Going Uphill
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »
This may sound weird but mine did this, turned out to be a poor wire connector in harness to carb. check those to make sure they are all connected.