Hello Guest

lift questions

• 5 Replies

lift questions
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
hi everyone, I'm new to the samurai world. I'm usually into jeeps but just bought a zuki for the mpg. my question is how much of a lift can i do with out any drive line mods. i think i'd like to run 30's. i have found 3" shackles will they work ok? it will be a DD with trips to the woods every now and then, nothing xtrem. any advice?

Re: lift questions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:28:55 PM »
the 3" shackle is probably like a 1 1/2" of lift right?  thats the way it worked on my jeep at least

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
Hi and welcome.

You are correct, it will yeild a 1.5" lift.  What it will also do is get your caster out of whack.  I can't recall at what point it really becomes a problem, but it would be worth investigating/reading a bit more on the forums.

I'm sure some of the more seasoned pros will come along and help too.  I'm doing a YJ SPUA lift on mine and plan on running 32s.

Good luck!

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »
Shackle lift will def. lead to worse front end/steering (severity depending on height)
Lift springs will beat you half-to-death due to stiffness.
Spring over axle will lead to driveline and axle wrap issues (severity depending on height)

Which direction you go depends on what you do with the truck i suppose.

I have had the opportunity of having gone through all the above and learning along the way.  Where I landed is SPOA with YJ's and extended driveshafts.

Also search some on gear ratios to run 30's. Having appx 50-60hp doesn't leave a lot of room for large tires without sacrifice somewhere (ie: mpg). 

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »
For 30" tires a simple way to go is with the OME 1.5" spring lift.  A softer ride then stock and it is a simple bolt on swap provided you soak all of your bolts in PB Blaster.

Combined with a 4:1 t-case your set for a great adventuring rig.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
thanks for the info, good food for thought as i figure out what direction i'm going to go.

thanks again...