Hello Guest

sidekick transfer case gears?

• 8 Replies

Offline chadstichter

• 98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-lock
sidekick transfer case gears?
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
what is the stock sidekick t-case gear ratio? it is a little bit to high for the trails that i am usually on but i think the 4 to 1 is a to low. im running 31s if any one can tell me the stock ratio it helps so i can kinda see how big of a difference it is

thanks
98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-locker, 8000lb winch and synthetic rope
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ]
 l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)          l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)         l(|removethispart|@)

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: sidekick transfer case gears?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
it's going to be around 1.8 to 1, four to one is just right, you have five gears and then high range!
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »
I had a chance to drive a 4dr with a undertaker, 4.3 diffs(dirt cheap) running 31's and the low range was just about perfect for trail riding at 2.7:1, not to mention the high range being spot on. The 4.24 Tc gears do not address the high range at all and still requires absurdly high cost 5.62 USED R&P's or axle swaps($$$).
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline chadstichter

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »
i have 5.12s for the diffs. the undertaker is to much money for me to spend. i know the t-case gears dont effect high range im only looking for low range. where i go half the fun is usully the drive up the mountain and hallin a**  up there and usually i have to use low range to keep the rs up so if the t case gears are to low cant go quite as fast haha so any more umput will be nice
98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-locker, 8000lb winch and synthetic rope
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
 l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)          l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)         l(|removethispart|@)

Offline skitime

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
I have the rare 5:83 diff gears, 5 speed trans, and 31" tires with stock low range gears it was still to fast for rocks.  I put in the 4:1 crawler gears it is awesome in rocks. I do find on some easier trails I feel now there is a large gap between 5th gear low range and 1st gear high range. Guess you can't have it all.  :laugh:

Offline chadstichter

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
there is no rocks where i live unless some one puts them there it just all mud and clay trails but who knows maybe once i get the thing going ill find some rocks
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
Hey,
The stock is 1.82:1
The 4.24:1 is not too low (if there is such a thing).  
But I run around in low range in 2nd or 3rd gear and it is just about right.  1st gear is just for showing off :laugh:
I have stock 5.12, 5spd, and the 4.24:1.  I am just a tick under 80:1 running 30" tires

And no kidding, whether you install the gears yourself or have the case built like I did, have them leave out the shift shaft detent ball.  Get the twin stick kit from Stan (37kicker) or from Rock4x Fabrication (RockRat) for like 70 bucks or something (I bought Rock4x's), and you will not regret it---this is quite possibly one of the best mods I have done as it is one that I use most often---the only downside is that the case MUST be split to remove the detent ball.
I love being able to crawl around without having to lock the hubs OR know that I am putting extra unnecessary strain on that front end---sometimes I just want low speed but don't need to lock up.

Then go get a $20 Dana 300 twin stick boot, can be found online from various places, I bought local from 4WheelParts.  Part number is 18606.06 by Omix-Ada.

Then use your laser etching machine to cut out and make a fancy cover plate for surrounding the shift boot (see attached)!!!!! 8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:12:36 PM by djlantis57 »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Online darnold87

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
Hey,
The stock is 1.82:1
The 4.24:1 is not too low (if there is such a thing). 
But I run around in low range in 2nd or 3rd gear and it is just about right.  1st gear is just for showing off :laugh:
I have stock 5.12, 5spd, and the 4.24:1.  I am just a tick under 80:1 running 30" tires

And no kidding, whether you install the gears yourself or have the case built like I did, have them leave out the shift shaft detent ball.  Get the twin stick kit from Stan (37kicker) or from Rock4x Fabrication (RockRat) for like 70 bucks or something (I bought Rock4x's), and you will not regret it---this is quite possibly one of the best mods I have done as it is one that I use most often---the only downside is that the case MUST be split to remove the detent ball.
I love being able to crawl around without having to lock the hubs OR know that I am putting extra unnecessary strain on that front end---sometimes I just want low speed but don't need to lock up.

Then go get a $20 Dana 300 twin stick boot, can be found online from various places, I bought local from 4WheelParts.  Part number is 18606.06 by Omix-Ada.

Then use your laser etching machine to cut out and make a fancy cover plate for surrounding the shift boot (see attached)!!!!! 8)

I'm setup exactly the same, and love the t-case gears...   :)
~Davey
'94 Suzuki Sidekick
'92 Suzuki Swift GT
'04 Lexus GX470

Offline noiseyjack

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 07:00:13 PM »
Great set up 4.24.1 case and 5.12 gears  and 31 " tires :)