Hello Guest

88 samerai runs but does not go

• 3 Replies

88 samerai runs but does not go
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:54:49 AM »
While driving home last weekend, went to down shift and zuk just acted like it went into neutral.  Engine runs fine.  Clutch feels good.  I can go throught the gears and they feel like they are clicking into place.  Transfer case feels like it clicking into the four positions.  Will not go, will not grind,  you can push it as if it were in nutral even though the gear shift says it is in gear.  Where do I start, to find out what is wrong?

Offline c3006

Re: 88 samerai runs but does not go
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »
Sounds like you broke something in the transfer case.because it is divorced from the transmission the power to all wheels depend on it. Get someone to look and see if the shaft from the transmission to the t case is turning while in first gear with the clutch out,just don't let them get in the path of the wheels or under the truck while looking. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:54:23 AM by c3006 »

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »
Better yet, unscrew the 4 screws that hold the t-case boot on.  After you move the boot out of the way, you can see if the top drive shaft is spinning.  Its the one from the tranny to the T-case. 

Rob 
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »
thanks for the advice that is where i will start.