Hello Guest

Best timing belt brand

• 23 Replies

Offline RJkick

Re: Best timing belt brand
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »
Bougth a new 103 tooth belt from napa and put it on.  Still haven't fired her up since the head gasket and valves were changed but hopefully this weekend I will get er timed and set to roll again

As was stated I have a special bond with the Zuk and unfortunately at this point I have to think of things going wrong as dead money as I will never get the monetary return but

Zuk                        -   nearing 20K
Head and top end    -   $600
Enjoying my Zuki      -   Priceless
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 06:16:28 AM »
So this is pretty funny.  When I got to work, I headed for my Autodata Timing belt book 06Edition:  In all Samurai and Sidekick years it states that the 1.3L is a interference engine with most likely cause of piston/valve contact.  I wasn't convinced and went to the back of the book to read it's disclaimers.  In fine print |removethispart||removethispart||removethispart|@ the bottome of the page, it reads:  "Although the information contained within this volume has been obtained from sources generally thought to be reliable, no warranty can be made as to its accuracy or completeness, nor is any responsibility assumed by Autodata Publications Inc.  Piece of shit, I paid good money from Matco for this info. 

Anyways, I called Suzuki Tech Hotline and the dude told me it IS NOT INTEFERENCE or freewheeling, whatever you want to call it.  Though I replace my t-belt on time, I do not have any experience in running it till it breaks and finding out the hard way, I choose to error on the caution side.  My zuk means more to me then most other things and I will not risk anything.  The only explination I can think of is most places I gathered my info was more then likely connected to some sort of parts company, in hopes of making a extra buck of someone!  I do apologize for any misleading info/headache I may have caused.

Glad you finally got info from a reliable source, so you'd believe it. ::)
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
Bougth a new 103 tooth belt from napa and put it on.  Still haven't fired her up since the head gasket and valves were changed but hopefully this weekend I will get er timed and set to roll again

As was stated I have a special bond with the Zuk and unfortunately at this point I have to think of things going wrong as dead money as I will never get the monetary return but

Zuk                        -   nearing 20K
Head and top end    -   $600
Enjoying my Zuki      -   Priceless

Holy crap, how do you spend $20K on a zuk?
As with most modded vehicles....you will never get your investment $$$ back.

Offline RJkick

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Tires, Motors, different suspensions, Axles, lots of learning, and mostly nickel and diming for 10 years

Crazy I never thought about owning anything other than a 68 - 72 Chevy Blazer but when I went to look at the blazer the Zuk was in the driveway and said free
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 04:26:38 AM »
This whole interference / non interference thing is kinda funny really, and has had enough threads started about it to warrant a section of it's own.  I've had the pleasure of examining these engines from the inside out several times and even tested the non interference statement by turning the crankshaft with a timing belt removed,  and with a belt installed 180 degrees off while the engine was on a stand. I've even spun them with the starter motor and no timing belt.  No interference between valves, pistons or anything else. The FSM I use, a genuine Suzuki / GM manual expressly states " DO NOT TURN ENGINE WITHOUT TIMING BELT OR VALVE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR" or something very similar to that. I believe the qualifer here is may  occur.  A meteor may also hit you in the head if your unlucky enough. Maybe if the timing belt broke while the engine was spinning at 6k there would be enough stretch and overlap in the valve train and cam timing to actually have the valves gently kiss a piston. Maybe. Maybe I'll win the lottery soon and be able to quit my job too. Maybe.  ::)

Oh, I can easily see how someone can have 20k in a Zuk. No problem. It's a hobby man ( Sky ) chill out and have fun.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:30:33 AM by bentparts »
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 07:05:31 AM »
Oh, I can easily see how someone can have 20k in a Zuk. No problem. It's a hobby man ( Sky ) chill out and have fun.

Oh, I am chilled.  It's just that is a shitload of money to put into a zuk, IMO (and a free one at that).  But I suppose if you have someone else doing most of the work, labor can add lots $$$$ to a build.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »
20K in 10 years, absolutely possible and probably more common than most care to admit to, LOL 
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline MongooseVRX

• M.O.S. forum
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
 A meteor may also hit you in the head if your unlucky enough.
   :laugh:

I'm getting a helmet ;)
1993 2-Door Tracker 1.6l 8v 5-speed manual hubs

Minnesota Overland

Offline RJkick

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
I may have to add to the 20K

http://www.kreationfab.com/?page_id=56

Although at the moment I just put on my newly done head, included in the 20K already and yes I am learning as I go so a lot went to line others pockets, and I have absolutely no pressure in any of the cylinders.

I'm hoping they messed up the seals or something easily fixable even though I have to remove it for the 4th time