Hello Guest

front sway bar

• 9 Replies

Offline Flatlander

front sway bar
« on: April 22, 2012, 06:48:44 PM »
So is it a good idea to or does it help, to take away or disconnect the front sway bar? it is a dd so im curious.  thanks

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: front sway bar
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
i removed mine.
it makes a big driving difference in that body lean is increased.
i did it to de-link the front for off road work, but i have to drive it on the highway to get where i'm going.
i have no problem with it, but i think a little extra care is required- radical high speed stuff is definitly out.
i do not dd suzi the psychic- she's strictly my fishing vehicle.

i tried it for a while by disconnecting the sway bar and tying the links up with some wire, before removing it completely.
might try that and see what you think.

note this was on a sidekick. i can't see that pic by your name too well.....but i think it's one too?
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
I'd say it depends on where you're driving, both on & off road - the anti-sway bar limits how far one front wheel can travel (up or down) without the other one moving - so it does limit suspension travel off road, but if you're not getting into situations where you're lifting a front wheel, removing it probably won't help much.

On the other hand - it also limits how much the vehicle leans in a turn and a fast "left-right" swerve that might be required in an evasive manouver on road could end up in disaster.

You could do as rascott suggested, disconnect it & tie it out of the way for a test drive - but - I'd say you're probably not going to test it in the scenario in which you're actually likely to need it - ever had to swerve to avoid something falling off a vehicle in front, maybe a kid darting into the street, a deer (or kangaroo) jumping out in front of you - or - ever tried to switch lanes on a free way at the same time as someone two lanes away?

Personally - if it's a daily driver - I wouldn't recommend it - but that's just based on my personal experience.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »
fordem has described this very well, and the situations he refers to are the reason to leave it linked on the road.
i think the sidekick(and varients) was a response to the bad press the sammy was getting re:rollovers.
the swaybar definitly improves road handling.
removing it increases the rollover concern, especially at speed.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »
I took mine off last week b/c it was rubbing on my new high steer kit.  I can tell just a little in the corners that it is off but not enough to matter much.  Do it!

Offline Flatlander

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »
You guys came up with some definite things to consider.  Thanks for your input. After careful consideration, i've decided to leave it hooked up and functional.  Really appreciate your input. 

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
I removed the end links on my Tracker and replaced with small heim joints and quick-release pins.  This design really isn't as "tight" as the original links just by looking at it, and because of this, it must allow for a lot more body roll than before.  I didn't notice any difference in driving.  Have not had to make any major evasive maneuvers but truck rides straight and I figure it wouldn't make a difference anyways...it would probably roll anyways, links or not.
Probably 4k-5k miles on them now and the pins have not come loose or pulled out of the heims.
Also, my suspension is not original...calmini 3" suspension.
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline bush buster

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »
After removing mine I would never put it back.  I can go over a pothole without spilling my coffee now!  Negative effects I noticed in the 2 years Ive had it removed is a little more body lean on corners and it's not as responsive. The body lean was somehwat corrected by stiffer rear springs and shocks. it's a much softer ride and keeps more even weight on both front tires while off road. Nice and smooth driving over curbs lol.
(FOR SALE, drop me a line) '01 Vitara 2.0, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 31x10.5x15 Interco TRXUS MT's on ford truck turbine rims, 1" wheel spacers, manual hubs, 5125 gears (Sidekick rear and GV steel front). DD/bushmobile "Snowflake"

'06 Impreza - Wife's ride and road tripper

1975 Dodge 360 Sportsman 1 ton van chassis with a 21' Triple E Class C motorhome

Offline FBJR

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
If you drive on the road daily, I would not remove it. They are there to add stability (anti body sway) when cornering as stated above.

Think of it like carrying a gun, you may never need it, but the one time you do you may not even know it!

Removing it may also void some insurance claims (on road) as you are removing a factory suspension-safety item on a vehicle that is already tall.

If you do almost ALL off road, sure take it off. If you do 50-50 and demand full travel ad a disconnect.
I think I had a motorcycle that was heavier!!

Offline kreator

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
I agree your insurance will get you if you have an accident , I made mine so it could be diconnected
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377