Hello Guest

16V engine rebuild

• 10 Replies

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
16V engine rebuild
« on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »
Just got my spare block back from the machine shop with a fresh .020 overbore and cleaned deck. I'm going to start taking pics of the basic engine build and posting up. But first a little back story.
I bought my Tracker with 63 K ( verified carfax ) miles on it about 6 years ago. It had been neglected badly but was basicly in decent shape, no rust and panels straight. The big issue was a bit of piston slap, only at idle, and valve guide seals that leaked enough to make it smoke on start up. Looking at the oil in the engine when I bought it just confirmed my fears, black as coal and thin as water.
I didn't want to tear it apart because a compression test still showed 180 + across the board, and very little leakdown, so I replaced the valve guide seals ( major PITA ) with the engine in the truck and have been driving it that way for almost 60K. The majority of that with the turbo installed and a 7/8 lb boost limit.  The engine noise never got any worse, just an annoying little taping at idle. Doesn't smoke, or use more than a bit of oil between changes. Still runs strong, a testement to the durability and quality of these little Suzuki engines even when subjected to ridiculous neglect.
 I picked up a 98 16V 1.6 from a member on another forum with the intention of doing a complete rebuild while continuing to drive mine. He stated he didn't know the condition or milage " but it turns over." I drove 3 hours to pick it up, as he was only asking $100. When I got there I tried to turn it over with a socket on the crank bolt, it wouldn't budge. Solid as a rock. I was a bit pissed but for a buck, it was still a deal seeing it was almost complete, including fuel injection and intake.
Once I got it home and on the engine stand I began by removing the intake and head and what I found shocked me: the cylinders were almost filled with mud and rusty water. Pistons and rings stuck. I soaked it for days with every penetrant I had and finally resorted to scraping the rusty cylinder walls with a dull knife to get the pistons out. I thought the block might be junk, but the machine shop got it cleaned up with only a .020 over bore.
Now the good news. All the crank bearings, rod bearings, and crank journals were in amazingly good shape. No visable signs of oil starvation, and the crank journals measured out to stock dimensions. The cylinder head was the same way. Camshaft and cam bearing surfaces were damn near perfect.
I shopped around and picked up a complete engine builders kit off ebay for $212 SHIPPED! It includes the afformentioned .020 over pistons ( made in Japan ) with rings, pins and circlips, oil pump, water pump, timing belt with tensioner and EVERY gasket, seal and o ring to completely rebuild the engine. New King crank and rod bearings too. Great deal I think, especially since I got to choose the oversize of the pistons and bearings ( I chose stock there.) 
So, I've got 100 for the engine, 175 for machine shop work on the block which included boring, deck clean up and hot tanking, and 212 for the rebuild kit. Under $500 and I should have a fresh strong new engine to mount my turbo too.
Pics and more to follow.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline ecoast

• You tube my space, and I'll google your yahoo
    • East Coast Canvas
Re: 16V engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:32:20 AM »
money well spent.

should go back together a lot easier than it came apart.
                                                What the hell you lookin' down here for?

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
Nice work, I'm in for Pics. Which E-Bay seller did you buy from ?

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
Nice! the rebuilt 16v I had in my Sammy ran like a raped ape. It just loved to spin up.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:36 AM »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting it back together. Lately I havn't even had time to take pics of the muddy pistons, but I hope to get back to it soon.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
Nice work, I'm in for Pics. Which E-Bay seller did you buy from ?

domesticgaskets.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
Bentparts, are you going to turbo this engine? I always see in your sig line that your present engine is turboed and was wondering if you increased the piston ring end gaps? I have read in some books about adding a turbo you should increase the end gap ,but some people disagree. Supposedly in a forced induction engine the rings expand and could lead to broken rings. Even in some info on doing leak down tests on turbo engines they say to expect a higher % of leakdown vs. the same engine w/o a turbo due to wider end gaps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:41:03 PM by mvptrukin »

Offline bentparts

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
I'm building my engine to stock specs, the same way my current turbo engine is. I built the turbo to work specificly with stock compression or a bit HIGHER, so I would not loose any of the little bottom end these engines have. I'm going to set the ring end gaps to stock spec too, don't want any blowby at all. I'm only running a maximum of 7/8lbs so it really doesn't stress the rings that much at all. If you were going to run a really high boost, say for racing, like my buddys 900 HP Honda Vtec, I suppose ring gaps would be critical, he runs up to 48lbs. !
Some pics of the old pistons and fresh block:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:50:15 PM by bentparts »

Offline bentparts

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 05:07:39 PM »
Nice! the rebuilt 16v I had in my Sammy ran like a raped ape. It just loved to spin up.

Yeah, they do love to spin!  ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:40:09 PM »
Thanks for your answer, what make and size of Turbo and BOV are you planning on using? I've been thinking of turbocharging the '95 16v I got 5 months ago, real good comp and low leakdown % but I been building my turbo diesel projects for so long and have never turboed a gas engine. I should have asked, did you post your 1st Turbo build on here?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:53:55 PM by mvptrukin »

Offline bentparts

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 04:32:23 AM »
Yes, look for " how to turbocharge a 16V."