Hello Guest

Cam Install....Searched but couldn't find already posted....

• 7 Replies

Offline Pavulon

Cam Install....Searched but couldn't find already posted....
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
Debating getting either a calmini or isky torquer cam for my 87 samurai 1.3...... never done any cam work before, so kinda lost on the process, and haven't been able to find a guide on how to do such an install.... I plan on doing a timing belt soon and figured while i had stuff apart, might as well through a cam in, if its something simple.... any links, thoughts, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated, this is my first build of any type of motor, so def. a learn as I go thing...thanks in advance

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: Cam Install....Searched but couldn't find already posted....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »
you have to change allot of other things in line ahead and behind it if you know what I mean , nothing is for free and most of the time not that easy in the long run you are better off putting in a 1.6 but if you have the big carb and exhaust, etc go for it.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline Pavulon

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
At this point i have thorley headers, flowmaster exhaust, and the k and n air filter in it.... rather just build out the 1.3 then swap it, just to be different....I just don't know how simple the cam install actually is once i have the timing belt off

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »
The cam is removed through the back of the head.  So you have to either pull the head, or the engine, to replace the cam.
I don't know if the aftermarket cams have the lobe on them to run the mechanical fuel pump on the side of the head.  If they don't, then you will have to swap to an electric fuel pump.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:02:12 AM »
What carb are you running?
 If stock, think about upgrading or you won't realize the full potential of the cam.
 Your exhaust should flow well enough for the new cam.
Cam break in is very important . My best advice is to fallow the instructions provided with the cam to the letter.
 I'm with you by the way. The 1300 camed and carbed correctly is perfectly adequate for the Zuke .
Unless your in a hurry......
 Make sure that the rockers are in good shape or you will wipe out the new cam in short order.
 And most important , prelube, prelube, prelube.
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline Pavulon

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »
Still running stock carb, one of my buddies told me he could just take it apart, re-jet stock one and possibly make it worth a $#!t, but I just planned on upgrading at some point... plans of doing the cam have put on hold due to having to pull the motor to put it in. By pictures I thought it'd be something I could do w/out pullin the back of the motor... Trust me it will be done eventually though... As far as carb, I was thinking the Harley Screaming Eagle 44mm Big Bore CV carb kit... with a My-Side 2 kit from lowrange off road..... any experience w/ that carb?

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
Remember that torquer cams LOWER the rpm at which peak torque is seen, top end either stays the same or drops a bit of power, sacrificing peak whp for peak torque.

Just go with the My-Side2 from ZOR, Myron really hit the nail on the head with it. You will see gains in power thru-out the rev band and excellent drivability.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline Pavulon

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »
Fair enough, thank you for all the responses,  I think what will end up happening for now is the ZOR My-Side2, and the Harley Big Bore Screaming Eagle Carb... Then possibly adding the ISKY Power Cam kit at the end since thats designed to work best at High RPMs... again, thank you for all the advice...