Hello Guest

Can't seem to get that driveshaft back in the t case

• 8 Replies

Offline bush buster

Can't seem to get that driveshaft back in the t case
« on: March 26, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »
Kindof a dumbass noob question but...I changed the transfer case seals and now i cant get the one driveshaft to slide back onto the stub inside the case.  The other shaft was no problem but this one (from the t case to the front diff) just wont go in.  Ive been trying for almost 2 hours. I tried hitting it but hard to get a good angle...the other one just slipped right in with no hitting.. 

I did notice the splines have some imperfections now i think thats from my hammering...should i take some sandpaper to them? 

Any other tips to help it go in? Its my daily driver and I would take it to my mechanic but now i cant drive it without any oil in there.

(FOR SALE, drop me a line) '01 Vitara 2.0, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 31x10.5x15 Interco TRXUS MT's on ford truck turbine rims, 1" wheel spacers, manual hubs, 5125 gears (Sidekick rear and GV steel front). DD/bushmobile "Snowflake"

'06 Impreza - Wife's ride and road tripper

1975 Dodge 360 Sportsman 1 ton van chassis with a 21' Triple E Class C motorhome

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: Can't seem to get that driveshaft back in the t case
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:43:27 PM »
You should not have to use a hammer (but you already knew that).  Line it up to what you think is square, then slowly rotate it until you feel the teeth mesh.  Then just rock it slightly in different direction until you feel it start to slip on. 
If the teeth on the driveline are mashed up, take a small file and clean them up. It will be hard doing that to the TC, especially with the new seal.

And yes, this sounds easier than it probably will be for you, if those teeth are mashed.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »
You wont accomplish anything with sandpaper other than tearing up your finger tips, you will need a small HIGH Quality file. You will probably only find the files in a set, and you will need to get them from a specialty tool site/outlet, dont even waste your time looking at auto-zone, sears, walmart etc. NAPA should be able to get you a set, but $$$. another option for a file is a old fashioned points file(it MAY be small enough).

NEVER use a hammer to try and seat splines, they should slide easily.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline bush buster

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »
Ok guys thanks very much for the advice...and I found the problem.

It would appear that I was using the wrong seal, I somehow got an input shaft seal and that was preventing the shaft from going in.  WOW.  It had been a while soince I changed the rear output seal but i thought the seal looked different....  Guy at the store told me it was just a different brand and thats why it looked different. ::)

BRD HNTR clued me in when he mentioned I should feel the splines engaging when i twist because i couldnt feel anything engaging at all.  I should have known it was the wrong seal because it was such a tight tight fit to get it seated.  I did check that the spindle fit inside the seal however did not account for the fact that once the seal was installed the spindle would not fit anymore. 

Borrowed the wifes car this morning and installed the new seal on my lunch break and even had time to stuff a sandwich in my face.

Thanks again guys! HAVE A GOOD DAY :)
(FOR SALE, drop me a line) '01 Vitara 2.0, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 31x10.5x15 Interco TRXUS MT's on ford truck turbine rims, 1" wheel spacers, manual hubs, 5125 gears (Sidekick rear and GV steel front). DD/bushmobile "Snowflake"

1975 Dodge 360 Sportsman 1 ton van chassis with a 21' Triple E Class C motorhome

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »
Don't ya love it when a fix is that simple  ;D
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline bush buster

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »
GOTTA LOVE IT!

Offline MongooseVRX

• M.O.S. forum
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »
  Guy at the store told me it was just a different brand and thats why it looked different. ::)

No offence to any parts store clerks out there, but don't you love when they treat ya like an idiot, because "the book/computer says it's the right part". I had the same thing happen when  I had to replace a front output seal on my t-case.
1993 2-Door Tracker 1.6l 8v 5-speed manual hubs

Minnesota Overland

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 05:47:53 AM »
  Guy at the store told me it was just a different brand and thats why it looked different. ::)

No offence to any parts store clerks out there, but don't you love when they treat ya like an idiot, because "the book/computer says it's the right part". I had the same thing happen when  I had to replace a front output seal on my t-case.

Only when I KNOW that they  are wrong while I am standing there (like I was the other day....) Not when it happens like it did with Bush Buster! Then I am a little less than tolerant!  :-\
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

Offline kreator

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »
Ya try working in the repair/fab industry keep a schedule with some of the dummies that send out parts. some projects take days longer than it should and take up shop space.
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377