Hello Guest

Won't Stay in 4 wheel Drive

• 5 Replies

Offline Browning

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Won't Stay in 4 wheel Drive
« on: October 09, 2018, 01:32:02 PM »
Alright I just finished putting a bunch of money in this thing and got royally disappointed with the transfer case, anyhow I have a 1999 tracker with 2.0L, Calmini Lift suspension lift, 2"body lift, 29"BFG  KO2's, light bars, custom made iron cross front bumper, 8500lb winch etc... So from there went hunting this weekend and put it in 4H as it was getting pretty muddy, it would engage, lights on and as i'm going it would just slide out into 2H, so tried this several times and it keeps popping out, so then I say screw it, put in 4L and the same thing, just slides into neutral, then I tell my buddy to hold it with his hand as we are in a bad spot, it still pops out and now the transfer case lever is stuck, but in 2H but the lever looks like it's in neutral... So we winch our way out, and go WTF is with this thing? Get back to the cabin and look up how to unlock the lever, has to remove it and realign the shifters, now it works again but still pops out under a little stress... Now this is all on slick mud roads or gravel, no cement...
So there's nothing I can find on the web that says this is the fix, I have found a few threads similar and they talk about the shifter sheet in which is just a little gasket that the shifter fits into, I can't see how that would be the fix but I'll try it for now...

So I know others have had this problem so what was the remedy? Transfer case rebuild? The tracker has 100K miles or 160K kms, light use on the Transfer case at best. I'm stumped but want to repair prior to the next trip which is in 3 weeks? Any hlep would be greatly appreciated!
I like tight lines, big racks and sweet lines, I’m just a sofisticated Redneck!

Offline Browning

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Won't Stay in 4 wheel Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
I sure hope someone can answer this!!

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
The problem is most likely interference between the transmission tunnel and the shift lever as a result of the body lift - have you extended the shifter since the lift?.

Early production did have a problem with the transfer case slipping from 4H back to 2H which was resolved by changes to the gear set, but since yours also does it from 4L, it's unlikely that this is your problem, and the fact that you have a 99 also makes it unlikely.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Browning

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »
Thanks Fordem, I have not extended the lever, but thats easy enough, I don't feel any major resistance as it feels smooth but who knows, I'll try that! and thanks for the reply

Offline Browning

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:16:47 PM »
So I extended the shifter, the shifter sheet is perfect, and tried it out and still slides out of 4H to 2H, what a piece of junk, ruined another 4 wheel outing, I researched online and others have this problem but never seen a fix?
Any help, anyone? Can we put a different transfer case or ? Tired of this crap

Offline Browning

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 06:52:24 AM »
So I extended the shifter, the shifter sheet is perfect, and tried it out and still slides out of 4H to 2H, what a piece of junk, ruined another 4 wheel outing, I researched online and others have this problem but never seen a fix?
Any help, anyone? Can we put a different transfer case or ? Tired of this crap

End of the day I just dropped it off at Zuki Nation, new transfer case, rear locker and depending on gear ratio new front and rear diffs with pump delete, then custom fender flare and level front Calmini coils due to winch..
Now just need a supercharger