Hello Guest

Trackick Distributors

• 4 Replies

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Trackick Distributors
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »
I'm rebuilding a 98 16V and it came without the Distributor, anybody know if any 16V trackick disty will work? Thanks
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: Trackick Distributors
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:00:55 AM »
It has to be OBD2 (they have the built in coil).  So 96-98s should work, not sure about any of the ones newer than 98 though.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:07:35 AM »
Thanks Sky, I was going to ask you directly since you seem to be the go to guy anyway, but I guessed you'd respond 1st!
Since this motor is going into my 95 OBD1 Tracker, would I have to use the later " coil in distributor" or can I just stick with my OBD1 stuff, seperate coil on firewall, and just use an earlier disty, like a 95 since all the mounting is the same? Reason I'd like to go that way is I'd like to have all the accessories mounted before I install the motor. Sealing and mounting that disty is a pita with the motor in. I've done it but don't want to do it again.  I'm actually rebuilding a whole engine rather than just put new valve guide seals in mine because it's that much of a bitch to do it while the engine is still in. Besides I'll know it's a good fresh engine to do another upgraded turbo with. So, got a disty you want to sell?

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
Oh, since it is going into a 95 (OBD1), then you will want to use the 92-95 distributor with the seperate coil on the firewall.  If you have (or buy) just the distributor housing on the head, you could go ahead and seal it up, then just stab your disty in, when you install the engine.  It would save buying another disty.
That 98 should also have a crank sensor on the front of the oil pan, so you could either swap a 92-95 oil pan on it, or just leave it as is and not worry about plugging anything into it.
That is all I can think of, that is different between a 98 and 95.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
Thanks Sky, now why didn't I think of that? It did come with the housing. Duh, Brain fart. Yeah, I'm keeping the old crank pos sensor to use as a plug, just seal it up good.
The block is out being hot tanked and bored to fit the new pistons, crank and rods are in good shape just replacing the bearings. On to the head next, breaking it down for a complete rebuild, going to be doing some mild head work and add a set of SS exhaust valves so it should be like getting started with a new engine.  The better to hear that turbo whistle! May even paint the block for aesthetics, it would make it easier to keep clean i think.