Hello Guest

Help a Noob sort out lift options.

• 19 Replies

Offline SlickO

Re: Help a Noob sort out lift options.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 10:36:44 PM »
What are the problems going bigger than 1.5" in the front and 2" in the back? I could get the diff drop brackets or make some to straighten out the CVs, and get some longer brake lines.  If for example I put in 2" front and 2.75" in the back would I need drive line spacers and possibly strut extensions (the screw on top shaft type)? What are the limitations for 1.5/2" combo? thanks.
2000 GV 4 Door Auto, Stock so far (waiting for delivery).

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »
The limitation is in the IFS front drive design.  The CVs have X degree of upward and downward movement, regardless of where the diff is sitting.  You can add the diff spacers, which moves the front carrier housing downward, which allows you to use a larger spacer, but you will still have to contend with moving your upper strut mount down (or make artificially longer) to compensate for the drop of the diff.  

When you add the 1.5" spacers, when at rest your CVs will be angled down.  They aren't "maxed out" in their downward movement, but since they are angled down you have lost some of the downward movement designed into the CV joint.  If you add a 2" spacer, your CVs will be more severely angled downward at rest and have virtually no more downward stroke available to them.  For example when you are driving on trails and drop one wheel into a hole.  The CVs will be constantly operating in a severely flexed position which will cause premature CV failure.  On the bright side you would have quite bit of upward movement available to you.

You can virtually "extend" your strut by a using a spacer which Jeff and Mudd Child offer, or you could use a strut extender which basically screws onto the upper end of your stock strut to make it "longer".  Which ever you opt for make sure the spacer or extender equals the spacer you use on the spring.  If it is too long or too short you will either bottom out or top out your strut which will either cause it to fail prematurely or will grenade on you on hard compression or catching air when wheeling (ask me how I know).  The best made extenders (IMHO) are the ones Dave has made and offers for sale on his Bits4Vits web site and on e-bay.  His have a small set screw machined into the side which allow you to lock the extender and prevent it from loosening when you are driving.  

Another design limitation on these trucks is the rack and pinion steering.  The more you space the springs... the more of an angle the front tie rod ends operate in.  At some point the seals in the R&P rack will start seeping.  

The manufacturers made a major design trade off on modern light duty "trucks" (versus earlier trucks) which was to move away from the straight axle design in favor of  the "smoother ride" IFS offers.  There are always trade offs.  I think the straight axles designs were more beefy and more reliable.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:09:05 AM by nprecon »
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline SlickO

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »
Ok, I think I understand how the lift works now, thanks for all the input. I ordered Jeffs kit, thanks Jeff. Still sorting out title and registration so the project is moving kinda slow.

So the next thing would be the body lift, can I just use square steel stock drill holes and get longer bolts for the lift? Should the body lift have some give like rubber gaskets to quiet down on vibration?  Would a two inch body lift plus spacer lift clear 31" tires?

To lengthen the steering rod do I replace the link with the two bolts or is there enough space in the link to just pull it out some for 2" body lift.

Just some pic of my new ride.

Offline SlickO

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »
I just got Jeffs lift installed and all went relatively painless. The spacers in the back seem a little tight in the coils like the coils are smaller than they should be and the lip "sticks" out where the end of the coil meet, is this normal? I don't think it will pop out but just struck me as a bit odd.  Overall I am happy with the lift, next on to the body lift.

When doing the body lift what do people do with the strut brace? Should I get longer spacers and bolts?

What is needed to correct the brake valve?