Hello Guest

High Idle Speed

• 4 Replies

Offline WesP

High Idle Speed
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
I just purchased a 1988 Samurai. It shows 77K of which 40% is towed miles. It's a 1.3 with a carb. It passed smog all except for the idle speed. It idles at 1250 rpm. I have tried adjusting the idle speed screw but it won't go lower then 1250. I adjusted the idle up kicked so that isn't the problem. I'm out of ideas. Anyone else ever have this problem? Any ideas on what could cause this problem.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: High Idle Speed
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:55:05 AM »
I just purchased a 1988 Samurai. It shows 77K of which 40% is towed miles. It's a 1.3 with a carb. It passed smog all except for the idle speed. It idles at 1250 rpm. I have tried adjusting the idle speed screw but it won't go lower then 1250. I adjusted the idle up kicked so that isn't the problem. I'm out of ideas. Anyone else ever have this problem? Any ideas on what could cause this problem.

Vacuum leak?

If you look at the top of this sub-forum, there is a FAQ thread and down towards the bottom there is a Q&A for this subject.

Hope that helps.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:02:05 AM »
Accelerator cable too tight holding the throttle open?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »
I would also check both things mentioned above and clean up the carb springs, linkages real good.  They get gunked up on outside and inside and can get real touchy.  Sea foam is your friend!
 *Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]

Offline AcousticD

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »
I had the same problem and it was a split vacuum line.  From the front it appeared fine and barely made any noise.  Replaced it and it idled properly.