Hello Guest

1999GV V6 Auto downswap to Aerio J20

• 1 Replies

1999GV V6 Auto downswap to Aerio J20
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »
Hi guys, I've done quite a bit of searching to not ask questions that have been answered and have it mostly figured out. But want to know if there are any concerns I've missed.

The background:

So i have a 1999 GV Auto V6 which has recently let go a connecting rod. After a year of driving and monitoring what i thought was the infamous chain noise (even changed tensioner) i have a feeling the chain was totally fine. Long story short I've purchased a very low km J20 motor with ECU out of a 2002 Suzuki Aerio as i trust the Suzuki 4 cyl's way more then the V6. From what i have learned with some searching the bell on the automatic V6 will not bolt onto the J20 - and i really would prefer a manual - so I plan on sourcing a manual transmission of of a sidekick 1.6L.

I know that mechanically the only major mod to make the 1.6l transmission mate to the j20 is a pilot bushing. What i don't really know is what other challenges i will have. Will the 1.6l manual be the same length as the v6 auto and mate to the driveshafts without modification?

I'm hoping outside of that Pilot Bushing any other parts needed should be sourcable through dealer/OEM (Motor Mounts etc)

Online fordem

Re: 1999GV V6 Auto downswap to Aerio J20
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
I think you're in the wrong forum (the is the second gen or post 2006 GV) - I also think that you've taken on quite a challenge - you would probably have been better off starting with a J20 out of a Vitara or a Tracker complete with the transmission of your choice.

As I understand it - the 2.0 flywheel (at least the 2.0 Vitara flywheel) will not fit under the 1.6 SideKick bellhousing and will require a custom machined 1.6 flywheel to be fitted to the 2.0 - I've included a link below with some possibly helpful information - I also believe the 1.6 transmission & transfer case is a fair bit shorter than the 2.5 auto unit - so some drive shaft work is likely to be required - bear in mind though - drive shafts are relatively easy in the general scheme of things you're going to be faced with - possibly motor and transmission mounts, swapping out the pedal box to add the clutch pedal and hydraulics, cooling, intake & exhaust manifolds, power steering pumps etc.

Even if the parts are available, it's going to be pricey.

http://members.cox.net/aftermarket4x4/2litertracker.html

You can also expect to have to do a fair bit of wiring - I hope you got the Aerio loom as well as the ECU - and you MAY find that the Aerio ECU lacks certain "controls" required by the GV - as an example - certain years & models of the GV have the 4WD controller as a separate "black box", others have it integrated into the ECU.

Last but not least - you MAY need to consider changing the final drive ratios.

Good luck.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny