Hello Guest

starter motor problem with 1.6 suzuki samurai engine swap!

• 2 Replies

starter motor problem with 1.6 suzuki samurai engine swap!
« on: July 16, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
Hi all,

The car that I am having trouble with is a 1992 suzuki samurai. The engine is a  g16a 1.6l 8 valve  carbureted suzuki vitara engine and the gearbox is the standard suzuki samurai gearbox.

Now the problem I have is that when I turn the key to start the engine you hear a clacking noise every now and again as if the gears are skipping. I know the gears arent skipping tho because the engine turns as it normally would. It is a very nasty and embarrassing sound....the flywheel is  a brand new swift 1.3 flywheel and the starter is the 1.6 starter both of which are brand new. Part of the very thin engine plate that goes between the engine and transmission is cut off right where the starter motor mounts so I was wondering if that could be the cause? Maybe the benedex gear goes in too far and also does not retract fast enough? below is a link to a video of it happening. Please help as I am getting desperate!!

Movie on 2011 07 16 at 15 10

Re: starter motor problem with 1.6 suzuki samurai engine swap!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
just noticed that the video and audio are not meshed propperly lol sorry

Re: starter motor problem with 1.6 suzuki samurai engine swap!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
btw it is the fat bodied 1.6 starter motor that i am using....i just took it off and ground off a bit off the block and the starter and pushed the starter all the way close to the block and that seemed to help it a bit....thinking about getting an adapter plate and a skinny 1.6 starter....