Hello Guest

Picture request (4wd swap)

• 5 Replies

Offline TrackerJoe

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Picture request (4wd swap)
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:08:42 AM »
I have a 97 2wd Tracker that I am converting to 4wd. I am purchasing a parts car to get the 4wd components off of.
Does anyone have a picture of the transfer case bracket that some of the later track/kicks came with?
I want to look at my 97 2wd and see if it is there (i have never seen under a 4wd track/kick, so no idea what I am looking for without a tcase there)

1997 Tracker 5 speed 2WD :( getting a locker and always on the lookout for parts for the 4WD conversion

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: Picture request (4wd swap)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »
The transfer case mount is in up under the tc in this photo, in front of the (modified) back cross member (tube).

This is looking back from front, a better view of the TC mount.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
The crossmember won't be there in a 2wd, but the mounts on the frame should be there.  All you should have to do is remove the crossmember from the 4wd and bolt it up to the 2wd.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:42:52 AM »
Are you sure Skyhigh? I thought they put a spacer (dummy case) in between the
trans and the output, I did this conversion a few years ago, but I forget if the cross
member was there or not. I would be more interested to know if the front diff bracket
mounts are on the truck, I had to fabricate the driver side mount on the truck I did

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:23:07 AM »
Are you sure Skyhigh? I thought they put a spacer (dummy case) in between the
trans and the output, I did this conversion a few years ago, but I forget if the cross
member was there or not. I would be more interested to know if the front diff bracket
mounts are on the truck, I had to fabricate the driver side mount on the truck I did

Wild

I have done a couple of 2wd to 4wd conversions and neither had the dummy tcase (the dummy tcase is pretty rare to find).  Actually, there will be a crossmember there, but it will be for a 2wd tranny (unless it has the rare to find dummy tcase).  So the 2wd crossmember will have to be unbolted from the frame mounts and the 4wd one bolted into its place.
The drivers side front diff mount will not be there unless it is a 96 or newer 4 door (in my experience).  So it will have to be cut from the donor and welded onto the 2wd frame.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Hustler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:09:42 AM »
I have done a couple of 2wd to 4wd conversions and neither had the dummy tcase (the dummy tcase is pretty rare to find).  Actually, there will be a crossmember there, but it will be for a 2wd tranny (unless it has the rare to find dummy tcase).  So the 2wd crossmember will have to be unbolted from the frame mounts and the 4wd one bolted into its place.
The drivers side front diff mount will not be there unless it is a 96 or newer 4 door (in my experience).  So it will have to be cut from the donor and welded onto the 2wd frame.
i have done 2 myself and this info is 100% correct. its a very easy swap if you have a donar car.