Hello Guest

How to enlarge Tracker wheel openings

• 6 Replies

Offline BRD HNTR

How to enlarge Tracker wheel openings
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »
Here is how I enlarged Tracker wheel openings.  I used tin snips, a couple of cresent wrenches, a body hammer and a bucking dolly.
I marked out how I wanted the wheel openings to be.  On this set I went 3 1/2 inches from back of fender at bottom and started my openings from there.  I used a piece of gas welding rod to flex into position so I could mark it on fender (an extra set of hands really helps if you do it this way).

I used the cresent wrench to straighten out the bend on the wheel opening.  Then used hammer and bucking dolly to flatten out the area where my new opening blended into the factory opening.  (take it easy here so you do not bend up fender with hammering.)  then start bending the curve in stages just a small bend at a time.  Using the cresent wrench I made the metal bend at the cresent wrench, not just bending with the cresent wrench.

At the bottom of fender, where it wraps around the body, I reduced the bend area to about 1/4 inch and made a couple of cuts up to the bend line to allow it to make the compound bends.

I did the same thing on front of fender.

The paint will chip as you sharpen the bend, and will need to be touched up.  This is how it looks now.

93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline talonxracer

Re: How to enlarge Tracker wheel openings
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
Nice, plenty of clearance now!
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »
Yes we needed more clearance in front and back.  Top of wheel opening is still the same.
This is how my Tracker looks with the new openings.

93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
They do look nice, the difference between the front and back is obvious.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline airdale navy

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 03:03:40 AM »
Nice job!Did you reinstall the inner fender well?if SO do you have a picture?
91 sidekick,8v,sky 1.5 lift,235 tires,full synthetic oils !GM alternator upgrade.Ford Mustang coil.4DR front brakes.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »
I had one in for a while.  I will get photo's tomorrow as I put both on.  I added a splash shield on bottom 8 inches of fender well, that goes from body to edge of fender, welded across the bottom.  The plastic liner will come down to this splash shield, preventing mud and sand from coming up behind it and filling the corner of fender/body.  The photo's will show much better than this description.
talonxracer, yes the difference between front and back is obvious, but the doing the back will be harder.  The front needed to be done to drive it, but I can get by with the smaller opening in back for a while.
I am hoping for some play time now.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »
Nice job!Did you reinstall the inner fender well?if SO do you have a picture?
Picture quality is not that good, I used the phone late at night.

This is the shield that I welded in at bottom of opening.  The bottom of fender behind the plastic shield has been filling with sand & mud.  I hope this will prevent that.

this is drivers side with the plastic liner in place.  I used a couple screws to hold where I needed them.

Same thing on passenger side.  I had to use half bottom half of another liner to get across the bottom.  The fender is turned out a little more than it is supposed to be.  That could be corrected, but not with two days before trip.