Hello Guest

Sidekick 2'' coil spacer lift, cast urethane or delrin? pros or cons?

• 11 Replies

Offline reese

I am buying a 2" coil spacer lift for my 95 4 dr sidekick very soon and have seen the two that are for sale on ebay with arguments between the two about hardness, sagging etc. I want a smooth riding NON sagging 2" lift. I am sure many people on here have used both of these, how was your experience with either?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:53:09 PM by reese »
Thanks,
Erik in Portland
95 4 door

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Sidekick 2'' coil lift, cast urethane or delrin? pros or cons?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
Do you mean a set of coil springs, such as the OME kit, or the coil spacer lift?  Do you have a winch bumper or anything else or is it just stock?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline reese

Re: Sidekick 2'' coil lift, cast urethane or delrin? pros or cons?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
Just the spacers for stock coils. Its all stock now, putting on 30x9.5 tires after the lift. Its my daily driver and camping/weekend fun rig. 
Thanks,
Erik in Portland
95 4 door

Offline MUD CHILD

Re: Sidekick 2'' coil spacer lift, cast urethane or delrin? pros or cons?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »
NO DITCH TO DEEP NO HILL TO STEEP

http://srcustoms.ca/

Offline noiseyjack

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:41:08 AM »
I am buying a 2" coil spacer lift for my 95 4 dr sidekick very soon and have seen the two that are for sale on ebay with arguments between the two about hardness, sagging etc. I want a smooth riding NON sagging 2" lift. I am sure many people on here have used both of these, how was your experience with either?

Some to look at  :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360334397771&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:24:52 AM »
I make the urethane ones sold on ebay and elsewhere. If the spacers are red I probably made them. I use a high quality urethane elastomer to make my spacers. This plastic is not the cheapest thing I can use but is the best quality. They DO NOT sag, compress, or squish like other urethane spacers have been known to do in the past. Other companies, Daystar, use to soft a compound and thus the smashing effect. I have ran them for 6 years and no deflection. They do not squeak or make the ride sloppy like stated.

Don't get me wrong the Delrin spacers look very nice and probably are. The guy who makes them actually bought a set of mine and copied them. I know from experience that Delrin will crack on impact in cold weather. We have used Delrin, Nylatron, UHMW, cast exopies, etc, in a severe industrial setting and have found that this type of urethane is the best material possible to use. I work with plastics every day and have for 16 years now. I know what works and does not. Delrin is very durable and may hold up but in my experience the urethane just works better. Besides, I make the urethane ones, LOL.  >:D

The choice is a personal one but I have sold THOUSANDS of kits with no complaints. If my parts were junk in any way I would hear about it, and you would have too. My .02

Contact me directly and I will save you some money versus the ebay listing. I also make a rear diff spacer I can include in the kit. hopekers(at)charter.net
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:28:19 AM by jeff1997 »
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:12:27 AM »
Suzuki aftermarket parts made by Suzuki lovers, keep the $$ in the family.

Jeff has been on here for years, and his products have stood the test of time

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:55:43 PM »
I've had Jeff's coil spacers on my current truck ('02 Tracker)  for 3.5 years now.  They don't move.  Zero complaints.  I put a set of OME coil springs on one of my other trucks (another '02 tracker) ... had it on the OMEs for about a year until I sold it with zero complaints on the OMEs.  The height on both lifts was almost identical (right at 2").

The two major differences that come to mind:  cost and ride quality.  OMEs are more costly but give you an improved ride.  Coil spacers are less costly and pretty much retain the stock ride quality (which is not terrible to start with).

If you don't have anything on your front end (heavy bumper, winch, etc) stay with their (OME) standard springs.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:00:15 PM by nprecon »
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline Thirty-Nine

• Subcompact Culture
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
If you don't have anything on your front end (heavy bumper, winch, etc) stay with their (OME) standard springs.

I'm looking to go this route, but do plan on putting a bumper/winch on the front of my '95 Kick. Is it unwise to stay with the stock springs?

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »
If you end up hanging an additional #120+ pounds off the very front of your truck (over its standard weight) it has to affect your stock spring height and ride characteristics.  On the coil spacers I have, my truck's front end still appears to retain its stock "stiffness".  I mounted a #35-40 pound brush guard on it and I can't say I've noticed a significant difference in either ride, height or handling.  But then #35-40 pounds isn't a significant weight.  There are guys on the forum here who can address running stock springs with a heavier bumper and winch because they have been there and done it.  I haven't had that experience while running stock springs.

Reference OME standard springs, they give you right at 2" of lift (although I think they only claim about 1.5").  Their standard springs are designed for the standard weight of the truck they designed them for.  They provide a much improved ride over stock springs.  Their heavier springs are designed for.... more weight over the front end.  They take some of the extra pressure off the strut and help retain the improved ride.
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 10:51:11 PM »
+1 for Jeff's,  I'm at about 25,000 miles on mine, and I haven't been very gentle.
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »
Spacers are a great inexpensive way to get some lift but if you can afford it longer coils are the way to go IMO. They give you a better feel and the coil isn't preloaded with a spacer so it flexes better. You can find almost any size and rate of coils for around $80 ea at FOA Coil. For example a good rear coil would be the 3 X 16" 150lb for the rears and a 3 x 14" 550lb coil for the front.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER