Hello Guest

Brake upgrade?

• 8 Replies

Brake upgrade?
« on: November 30, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »
 tried to search, but I guess that I didn't phrase it right. I can get a serious price break on the brake set up form an 03 ZR2 4 door Tracker that was rolled over. My question is will the front brake stuff actually fit on to my 90 model? The 2003 has twin piston (!) calipers, vented rotors, and the hoses for the screaming price of $30 for the entire set-up.Thoughts? ( other than the expected "heck, ya, GRAB 'em!" )

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Brake upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »
I would grab them, and the master cylinder too just in case.
I put 4 door brakes on my truck, had to swap over the part
that bolts to the knuckle and tweek the backing plate but the
upgrade is a good one

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
 I am getting the booster with the master for $45, so that "should" help keeps things in check, fluid/pressure wise. I get to pull the parts, so I am definately getting the bracket that bolts between the knuckle and the caliper. I am pulling the hoses, some of the brake lines, just in case the ends are different for some idiot reason, the dust plate, rotor, etc.. I also had them give me the strut tower brace off of it, so SWEET, even if it does look like I have to do some work to the endplates that bolt to the towers.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:28:32 PM by Trackasaurouswrex »

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »
Good job, I think you got everything you need there

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »
 Check this noise out... went to see about getting new brakes pads for the TWIN piston calipers that I pulled, right? Seems that the nearest match for them is from an 03 Trailblazer! WTH is up with that? The computer didn't ask if 2/4door, ZR2 or anything, so the results were the normal sized, itty-bitty 2dr pads. Same with the calipers themselves! This is DEFINATELY going to be some ongoing research now.... ???

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
Go to another store, or do a search for Suzuki instead of Tracker
and see what they come up with, or just use the old pads until
you find out what you are supposed to use

Wild

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:45:44 AM »
Dealer
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Online fordem

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Check this noise out... went to see about getting new brakes pads for the TWIN piston calipers that I pulled, right? Seems that the nearest match for them is from an 03 Trailblazer! WTH is up with that? The computer didn't ask if 2/4door, ZR2 or anything, so the results were the normal sized, itty-bitty 2dr pads. Same with the calipers themselves! This is DEFINATELY going to be some ongoing research now.... ???

When you said twin piston calipers - I didn't think you were right - but I don't have access to Tracker documentation, so I didn't question it - from what I've been told, the Tracker brakes are smaller than the GV and the GV is your basic single piston floating caliper.

Maybe those twin piston calipers aren't OEM.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:49:47 PM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
 Well. Tried to install the drivers' side of the new brakes, and gee, they don't fit. I forgot one of the biggest things to check when swapping stuff around... check out the parts for what, exactly, is different. Turns out that the 03 has a COMPLETELY different offset to the brake rotor compared to the 1st Gen. models.  >:(  Seriously sucks.  Hopefully, I can get my $$ back, or see if they will let me have "house credit" until/ IF they get a 1st gen 4dr in.