Hello Guest

1995 Sidekick 4x4 "Eco 4x4"

• 24 Replies

Online fordem

Re: 1995 Sidekick 4x4 "Eco 4x4"
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 07:31:59 AM »
Can I just use the whole steel differential and just swap over my 5.12 gear? So I can use the 26 spline?

Are you getting the differential with or without the axles?  If you get it with the axles, those will most likely be the 26 spline axles for the wider second gen and you will need to fiddle with them, because they are longer - this is where I got confused earlier.

Or do i need the internals swaped over into the steel housing and steel 3rd member?

The ARB replaces the diff carrier - you would need to transfer your 5.12 pinion, mount the ring gear on the ARB and install it, and then swap the axles over.

I don't think I mentioned this earlier - there are two different third member mounts used - if the steel diff you get doesn't match the alloy one you're taking out, you need the cross member mount to match the steel diff.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:53 AM »
Are you getting the differential with or without the axles?  If you get it with the axles, those will most likely be the 26 spline axles for the wider second gen and you will need to fiddle with them, because they are longer - this is where I got confused earlier.

The ARB replaces the diff carrier - you would need to transfer your 5.12 pinion, mount the ring gear on the ARB and install it, and then swap the axles over.

I don't think I mentioned this earlier - there are two different third member mounts used - if the steel diff you get doesn't match the alloy one you're taking out, you need the cross member mount to match the steel diff.

Im pretty sure im getting everything i need to complete the swap.  The axles inside the differential is what i was talking about 26 spline. Not the cv axles. Once it arrives ill post pictures. Ill need help identifying everything.

Online fordem

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
This is written assuming your vehicle currently has 22 spline axle shafts.

Starting from the left side front hub you have the left CV axle which will remain in place - it is bolted to the intermediate axle shaft which goes into the diff/locker left side gear - if you want 26 spline here you'll need to source the intermediate shaft from a 96~98 Sidekick/Tracker - coming out of the right side gear of the diff/locker is the right CV axle - if you want 26 spline here, you'll need a CV axle from a 96~98 Sidekick/Tracker - or - if you have the CV axle from the second gen, it should be possible to swap the inner CV onto your existing CV axle (create a hybrid shaft) but you will probably need to shorten the splined stub on the inner CV and cut a new circlip groove.

When you're doing this pay close attention to the lengths of the axles & splined stubs - make sure what you're putting in matches what you took out - the only differences should be shaft diameter & spline count.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 11:34:17 AM »
Appreciate the information you guys give.

So heres a little update on my ride.

Ordered a calmini kit 3in (hope it actually arrives)
Picked up some 31x10.5r15 Couragia M/T tires
Found some cheap steelies online for $60
Got the oem roof rack from dr.z fabrication
New 1157 rear taillight socket
Found a deal on a snorkel
Skid plate from jimny bits

Ordered front brakes online even said it was a direct fit for my vehicle and they didnt work. Think they sent me 2dr brakes. If i had the 2dr rotors and pads i think i could've mad it work. Just re greased the stock slide pins and she stops way better now.

Leaning toward a j20a from a tracker or a vitara what's the forums opinion on that engine? Should be a 35hp 40tq jump from the g16 engine.

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 02:10:33 AM »
Installed the 15x8 3.75in backspaced wheels with 31x10.5r15 Federal Couragia's. Had to pull the hammer and saw to massage them in. 2in body and 1in coil spacers in this picture.

Had to weld a body mount that rusted out when i installed the 2in lift. Somehow i have a gap for the body spacers that are supposed to glue in..... Over a inch gap. I might shim them or get larger blocks if they are needed? What do you guys think i asked low range offroad if they could have switched out the body mounts from a 1in kit. Waiting to hear what they say.

Waiting to install these fender flares i purchased off of Ebay a Russian seller that owns a sidekick, parsan-tuning was his handle.

I decided on turbocharging the g16b and doing a engine rebuild to add some much needed power.

Calmini is being sued i see it all over online.... of course i seen it after sending them money for a kit, 3 months has passed....so i asked my bank for a refund.

Still trying to decide between a cheaper jimnybits lift or a 4xfourart lift kit. Both are 3in

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
I like the look of those fenders, let us know how they work out.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 01:58:49 PM »
So i scored a steel front differential with axle stubs for a great deal. I wish the mini spool would fit in the front for a cheap locked option. I might weld it

For the rear i purchased the mini spool but im not sure if i want to install it as i drive on the road to and from trails. I might buy a chinese arb so i can unlock on the roads and lock it offroad.

4xfourart kit showed up damaged. Thinking customs opened the box and repackaged it improperly. Kind of upset as i asked for the black powder coat. Seems like paint to me. Kit seems strong other than that.

Also considering boosting the Suzuki g16b instead of a engine swap. Can get cheap 80hp 80tq from it with bolt ons

Looking for a inclinometer and a arm rest for the inside

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »
I found a altimeter and compass inside usa and ordered a set of euro side markers from Thailand.

Going to do suspension and fender flares this weekend.

Now im considering a h27a swap. Found a xl7 locally for under 1000 with 70k on it. Rusted out but seems like a great drivetrain. Been picking some information on here about v6 swaps

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »
Something to look into with the engine swap...You might see if there is an aftermarket option for a computer, something like MegaSquirt.  That would eliminate some of the headache others have had getting the factory ECU/BCM/guage cluster working.  There is a MegaSquirt product called MicroSquirt that runs sub $400.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline Toys-n-Joys

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »
Something to look into with the engine swap...You might see if there is an aftermarket option for a computer, something like MegaSquirt.  That would eliminate some of the headache others have had getting the factory ECU/BCM/guage cluster working.  There is a MegaSquirt product called MicroSquirt that runs sub $400.

Appreciate that. I plan on using the oem computer and wire harness off the xl7 at first. Id like the obd2 port to stay wired in. I have experience with megasquirt but never used the microsquirt. I heard the microsquirt is waterproof aswell.

Im wondering if the plastic intake can be reversed on the h25a or h27a. Seems like it can be. So i can use my g16b intake and snorkel location.