Hello Guest

rear end shifting/swaying

• 8 Replies

Offline airmanwilliams

rear end shifting/swaying
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »
ok so today I got a temporary permit to drive my samurai and for the first time I drove it on the road but whenever I pressed on my gas or let off it the backend shifted left alot. I have a 3 inch spring under lift with 235/75r15 tires on it. Anyone know what may be the problem?
1993 4door Suzuki Sidekick JX

Offline ft6crt

• The Abyss
Re: rear end shifting/swaying
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:10:45 PM »
First thing I would do is get under the truck and re-check all the suspension. Your description sounds like the rear axel is shifting on the springs - like the u-bolts are loose.

If you made the changes for the lift, you probably need to re-torque it all. If you bought it like this, then who knows.

Check everything anyway.

Cheers
Mike

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:26:09 AM »
Got a locker or spool in it?  If so, it is normal.
Are all the tires the same size, type, and air pressure?  If not, then that can cause the issue.
Got really long shackles?
Loose suspension components can cause it too.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
fly n hawaiian just took a look and told me that the problem is that the springs arent on their perches so I have to get that all tightened up tomarrow.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:15:42 AM »
fly n hawaiian just took a look and told me that the problem is that the springs arent on their perches so I have to get that all tightened up tomarrow.

So you didn't make sure the center pins in the springs were in the holes in the axle perches and plates?  That should have been quite obvious, since the springs wouldn't pull tight against the axle perches and plates.

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:59:10 AM »
I got this from some kid that had put the 3" springs on himself and I hadnt driven it until a couple days ago when I got a temporary permit for it. I also dont know much about trucks right now but im learning.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:01:56 AM »
I got this from some kid that had put the 3" springs on himself and I hadnt driven it until a couple days ago when I got a temporary permit for it. I also dont know much about trucks right now but im learning.

Ahh, ok.  I thought you put the springs on yourself.

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »
well I took a look in the light yesterday and the springs are right where they are supposed to be with the pins in the center. The only problem I saw was that both bolts in the passenger rear shackle were alittle loose but would this really cause that much swaying?

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
Loose shackle bolts could cause swaying.  Do you have stock shackles, or aftermarket/homemade?  If they are stock, then you can tighten the bolts all the way up (there is a shoulder on the bolts that keeps you from overtightening them.  If they are aftermarket/homemade, then they are probably just regular bolts....so what I do is tighten the bolts until the bushings start to squish just a little bit.