Hello Guest

Super charged Cobalt engine swap

• 11 Replies

Offline DuneTV

Super charged Cobalt engine swap
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
I need technical advice with this engine swap.  It's going in regardless of feed back, just would like it to be a little smoother.  I  currently have a popular website in the Great Lakes area.  I am one of the few who run a Suzuki Samurai in the Dunes (Silver Lake) most Samurai's can't keep up with my stock 94.  I receive a lot of harassment from the Jeepers and Sand Car owners.  This swap, without utilizing 4wd would spank most Jeeps and give the Sand Cars a run for their money on the flats. Most Sammi's come up to the dunes a wreck and I would like to have a good showing for Suzuki.  I currently have the engine and I am going to sell the 16 valve I already have.  Any feed back would be appreciated.

Bobthebiker

Re: Super charged Cobalt engine swap
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:01:32 PM »
generally speaking,  I'd turbo the 16V and have more fun. 

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:20:35 PM »
I live in richland which is between kalamazoo and battle creek. I am currently having my samurai 4 linked. Hopefully i will have it together in time to get to silver lake this summer! If not i just picked up a stock suzuki sidekick for $300 that I might hack on and throw a little bit bigger tires on to run up there...maybe i will see you there.

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
Well, we bounced this idea off the wall a little,  but we were lookin at a regular 2.2 Ecotech.  Provided you can make every mount, bracket, and probably a trans cross-member,  you still gotta figure out what trans or make a bell housing adapter to make it a rear drive.   I believe the only RWD Ecotech cars are the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky,  and those trannys aren't cheap.

In my opinion, not worth it considering other options ::)

Hope this Helps and good luck, it would definitely be quick if you can pull it off.
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline DuneTV

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:12:02 AM »
Rods4quads makes the bell housing adapter for any GM application $475, and a lot of Ford Trans.  I investigated that much already, so it is doable from that point.  They recommended the T5 GM Trans.  I think I will be better off with the reliability of a standard trans.  The mounting and drive shaft lengths are my biggest challenge.  I recently witnessed a full size sand car by Extreme Fabrication, not a light weight pony car, with this mounted in it and watched it all day. It's approx. 2500lbs and was pulling wheelies all day.  It kept up with the 450 to 1000 hp cars running around, although Silver Lake is a great equalizer because of its size.  Everybody says that they have a lot of  mounting points on the block for multi applications.  My guess is without a mounting kit, no two mounting systems would be the same in a Sammi.  Look me up in Silver Lake.  There is a picture of me and the #1 Sammi in the "Still Movie" at Dune TV dot com.  They don't let me post links yet because I'm new.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:48:33 PM »
Depending on how long the motor is, couldnt you take the tranny that comes with the motor. From the samurai tranny to the transfer case there is just a driveshaft. If the motor and trans was close to the same length you could just have it modified and leave everything else in place for now.

Offline DuneTV

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 03:15:05 PM »
I don't have the tranny right now, but evidently there is different shifter placement positions on these T5 trans to consider as well.  Another forum pointed that out to me.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
What size tires are you running?  One way to help solve that drive line issue is to switch to a 4 link and cut out the back and switch to a fuel cell.  that way you have plenty of room for the axle.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline DuneTV

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 06:26:34 AM »
I have 31's right now, but I don't know what size I will end up with because I am switching to paddles on the back, with stagger, that way when I hammer it , it will look like one of those speed boats with the cool prop on it that shoots water a mile high.  The trans that came with the motor if connected to the rear end in it now would probably give me a gear ratio for vertical climbing.  When you look at it, that's the first thing that comes to mind,  spin the motor and make a coupler from the existing drive shaft axle hanging out to the rear end.  I could probably take off in 5th gear, doing  a wheely of course. 

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 03:17:34 PM »
Your talking about keeping the existing FWD transmission and turning it sideways right?  The issue with that is it is large and heavy compared to the stock motor.  Also, all your power will go to the other drive-line due to your central diff and it will just spin in place.  You really need a transmission that will bolt up to the 4 cyl that is for a RWD vehicle.

An alternative would be to place the engine/transmission combo in the middle of the vehicle and replace the CV's with drive-lines going to the front and rear diff.  I have seen a couple of buggies that do this.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »
Take the supercharger and put it on the Suzuki engine, problem solved

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Snorkeld_Zuk

• HAMMER DOWN!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:32 PM »
The Saturn Sky, and Pontiac Solstice had the a similar engine, some were turbo. They were rear wheel drive. If you picked up the transmission from one of those, or just used that engine for the swap it could make things easier. However I can think of numerous better/cheaper/easier swaps. How about a turbo 4AGE, or the supercharged Toyota Levin motor(dont remember the nomenclature, but its the JDM early 90s corolla/geo prism)
88 Samurai: (White Zuk) Lifted, locked, geared, caged, etc
88.5 Samurai: (Red Zuk) Project pile