Hello Guest

gearing help!!

• 4 Replies

Offline espo

gearing help!!
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:29:56 PM »
Hello my name is Chris.  I'm new to the 4x4 world. I have a lifted sami, with stock 1.3 motor, yota axels, yj leaf springs, missing link shackles, 33" super swampers and its goes like crap. Also, I don't have a trailer so it needs to be driven to our wheeling locations. Which t-case and/or ring and pinions gears should I use. We do a lot of mudding/trail riding, but I'd also like to be able to climb hills and rock crawl. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris 

Offline 87zukini

Re: gearing help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:44:46 AM »
what do you have now ? sammy or toyota drive shafts ? if you need more gearing id go for axle gears as it wil put less stress on the rest or the drive train t-case driveshafts ujoints. my samurai goes good runniing 5.12 tracker gears and 34 10.5 ltb swampers only problem ive had is a cracked front housing so i am going to a toyoa or dana 44 front axle. until you know what you have its hard to tell what you need

Offline espo

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:00:10 PM »
I have stock transfer case, Toyota axels and Toyota driveshaft.

Offline jaunty

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »
i think the toyota axle ratios are 4.1, that is if your axles are from a 4cyl diff.

this means you are currently 13% off (too high).  you need to get that back.  Im not sure about changing ring and pinions on yota diffs but im sure somewhere here is familiar with that. 

I would go with a 6.5:1 t-case gears because it gives you major reduction in LOW range. In high range it will put you low enough to get the speed you need. 
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/suzuki/samurai/transfer-case.html

plug in your values here..
4.1 RP, 187% low range (for 6.5:1) and 20% high range (1.69:1)
http://www.lepayne.com/gears.html

Good luck!

Offline 87zukini

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:44 AM »
if you do go with tcase gears you should get a better tcase mount due to the added stress from the gears where as if you swap ring and pinions the toyots axles should be fine and will put less stress on youre stock tcase