Hello Guest

Texas State Inspection

• 4 Replies

Offline wirejock

Texas State Inspection
« on: March 29, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »
Anyone have experience with Texas State Inspections? My '88 Sami failed the two stage tail pipe test. It actually passed the idle test and failed the test done at 2,500 RPM. Scored 232. Over the 220 ppm limit. I have no idea what to check. Of course the station offered to check it out and give an estimate for repair, (kinda explains why we have inspections and tests) but I don't want to dump a chunk of money on a beater. Looking for ideas.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Texas State Inspection
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »
First thing to do is a tune-up.  Plugs, wires, cap and rotor will make a huge difference if they haven't been replaced in a while.  You might want to make sure your cat is actually there and hasn't been hollowed out.  Replacing it wouldn't be a bad idea.  That should be enough to get you under spec.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline sklope

• BUSHWACKER
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »
Anyone have experience with Texas State Inspections? My '88 Sami failed the two stage tail pipe test. It actually passed the idle test and failed the test done at 2,500 RPM. Scored 232. Over the 220 ppm limit. I have no idea what to check. Of course the station offered to check it out and give an estimate for repair, (kinda explains why we have inspections and tests) but I don't want to dump a chunk of money on a beater. Looking for ideas.
Where do you live? I'm in Texas and have never had any emission testing, of course I live in a small town. That may be your answer if you live in a city that requires you to do emission testing,....head for a smaller town!
* '96 Tracker
* 2" Sky body lift
* 235/75/15 M/T's
* Custom front and back bumpers
* Durabak exterior coating (bed liner) * '07 chevy silverado "wail tail" tailgate cover (custom cut to fit)

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:50:54 PM »
Change the oil also, the PCV sucks in oil vapor and
dirty oil will add quite a bit to the emissions the engine
puts out

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline wirejock

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »
So far I've done the tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor), checked all the vaccuum lines and switches, cleaned the carb, added a pint of Garaunteed to Pass to the gas tank of premium and have the new oil and filter ready so it's the last thing before inspection. I was just about ready to run the tank of gas out when the next problem came up. Now the problem is the Xfer case went Tango Uniform and is sitting in a big pile waiting for the rebuild kit plus broken parts. I'll post after the fun is over. Hopefully it passes. Thanks.