Hello Guest

Custom radiator

• 8 Replies

Offline AZKick

• It's paid for now, I can break it.
    • Ckeck out our Teardrops.
Custom radiator
« on: May 19, 2005, 01:49:22 PM »
Summer time is here so it's time to look at my radiator. Had to replace the stock one 2 or 3 years ago, and could only get aftermarket at the time. (dealer wanted over 500 bucks) Works ok but with a/c on and over 100 degree days here, the Kick runs a bit hot. Going to talk to a guy this weekend about making one but I was wondering if any one has had a radiator made or knows a web site that has a good custom one for the TracKick. Also, anyone got a lead on putting an oil cooler on a Sidekick? Looking to keep cool any way I can.

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: Custom radiator
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 03:11:11 PM »
WOW, even in the mid summer heat 90-100 degrees I can damn near run the Kick out of coolant before it starts to approach the 1/2 mark on the temp gague, then all I have to do is turn on the heat/fan and cool it back down to 1/3 on the stock gague. Did you have overheating problems with the stock radiator? If not I would call Hawk (1-888-samurai) and get a stocker to replace the aftermarket one you are running now.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline AZKick

• It's paid for now, I can break it.
    • Ckeck out our Teardrops.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 04:21:59 PM »
105 for the high temp today, 10 or 15 more to go before summer is here.  :P   Not really having any overheating issues, just running a little hotter then I'd like it to. On the freeway with the a/c on all is good but low rpm/speed makes the needle go up to bout 3/4 of the way. Won't go past that, and as soon as I go 30 or so mph or faster, needle goes down to 1/4. Just looking for piece of mind in the cooling department. Out here in the desert, the only water you see for 100's of miles is the water you take with you.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 09:36:46 PM »
I have been told by many people that I should expect my 1.6 to run for 250k to 300k miles, but to be very cautious with the engine overheating. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to keep the engine as cool as possible?

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »
I have been told by many people that I should expect my 1.6 to run for 250k to 300k miles, but to be very cautious with the engine overheating. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to keep the engine as cool as possible?

Keep the level topped up, always run anti-freeze and keep the rad fins clean. The only issue you may run into is the viscous fan failing so check that occasionally to make sure its still working. Mine failed recently as a result of too many water crossings, I could hear it rattling.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline ecoast

• You tube my space, and I'll google your yahoo
    • East Coast Canvas
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 06:13:23 AM »
rockauto.com  = <$110, shipped
                                                What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Offline Bill S

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »
Have you checked your water pump? How old is it? It's possible the blades in pump are deteriorating and not circulating enough GPM for proper cooling.

Offline SnowSammi

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »
IF EVERYTHING CHECKS OK MECHCANICLY ADD WATER WETTER BY REDLINE,
PULLING LONG HILLS IN THIRD GEAR ABOUT 3,500RPMS GUAGE WENT ALMOST
3/4 TO HOT ADDED WATER WETTER DROPPED ALMOST TO 1/2.
BUT DOUBLE CHECK WHY TEMP IS OVER NORMAL DO NOT WANT TO PUT ON
A BANDADE WILL FALL OF ON THE TRAIL ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:08:58 PM by SnowSammi »
87 Samurai: OME springs & shocks, 30" Cepek mountain cat tires, K&N air filter, 6:4.1T-Case gears.

Offline fordguy79

• long beach Wa,
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 11:00:08 AM »
5 year old zombe thread :laugh:
87sami 32" bfg mt 6.5:1 w/reverse S shifter  1.6 16v sold and missed