Hello Guest

Is a Samurai to Tracker brake upgrade necessary?

• 5 Replies

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
Is a Samurai to Tracker brake upgrade necessary?
« on: September 10, 2012, 04:14:29 AM »
I have weak brakes that need to be replaced. The rotors arent terrible but could use a resurfacing. The calipers need a rebuild at the least and the pads are old.
I have seen rebuilt calipers and new rotors on amazon for cheap, and I have a new set of pads.
I am also going to be near a pick a part junkyard next week while traveling and am considering upgrading to the 4 door Tracker front brake setup.
My other option is going to slotted Samurai replacement rotors for an extra $65.

My question is how are the stock Samurai brakes with 31" tires when working properly?
Whats a guy gotta do to earn some respect around here?

Offline talonxracer

Re: Is a Samurai to Tracker brake upgrade necessary?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 04:32:45 AM »
The stockies are weak sauce to say the least with 31's, My polaris ATV has larger brakes!!!!

There is no comparison between the stock solid rotors(or even performance solids) and the 4dr track/kick vented rotors and calipers. My 2dr Sidekicks front brakes where also solids(same as a sammi) and even with brand spanking new brakes(properly bedded) it was one of the scariest rides coming down off the mtn, they heated quickly and no amount of pressure on the pedal would stop the truck!!! I went straight to NAPA and ordered rotors and calipers from a 4dr and installed them the next day, AWESOME brakes now!!!!
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 06:12:18 AM »
Are these a direct bolt on for a Sami?  I'm working on my build at teh same time and need to know how scary the brakes are going to be.

Mine is a 92, any difference or upgrades to done to the later Samis that make my brakes any better?  So far they are sufficent, but with a lift and 32s I'm not sure I will be able to say the same after its all installed.

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:34 AM »
They are supposed to be a direct bolt on, but I am still skeptical. You will need the calipers, the brackets and the rotors from the donor car. From there you can upgrade the master cylinder to something from an Impreza or 929. I dont have all the details on that conversion yet but it sounds easy, although possibly unnecessary.
I am only considering the upgrade because my calipers are sticking and I dont want to F around rebuilding them only to have them continue to stick. It seems like I am begining to run short on luck for my build, which probably means I am taking shortcuts and not being thorough.  :-\

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »
Actually, I think your build has been quite comprehensive, Body work, engine swap, gears for the t-case, electrical, brakes, bumpers...  My build up is only in its infacny at the moment.  Got the Sami, assesing the situation and ordering parts are about as far as I have gotten.  I have torn things off, but the only replacement part so far that has been added is a speedo cable which I found out didn't need to be replaced after all.  The guy I bought it from didn't push it all the way into the t-case.

I ordered wheels and tires the other day.  They will be in tomorrow or Wednesday.  Bumpers will be this week as well as the lift, sliders and gas tank skid. 

I haven't even considered brakes yet.

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

Offline GO_OUTSIDE!

• Sammy Jack
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
Once your build starts rolling, watch out it can consume you.