Hello Guest

header install broken bolt

• 9 Replies

header install broken bolt
« on: July 10, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »
I just picked up another samurai and the guy who sold it to me started installing a header. He broke a lot of the bolts and i fixed most but the top bolt on the #1 cylinder is beyond repair. It looks like he tried to repair it with a die grinder its a big hole now. I was wandering if i could get away with just leaving that hole and making sure the rest are good and tight.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: header install broken bolt
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:13:17 PM »
There is a stud/bolt there for a reason.  I'd drill it out and either retap it bigger or use a thread repair kit on it.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline sammypro.com

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »
There is a stud/bolt there for a reason.  I'd drill it out and either retap it bigger or use a thread repair kit on it.

x2, you will have a leak if not fixed.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some freakin' muscle.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/sammypro

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
I am afraid that re-tapping or repairing thread is out of the question. It is a huge hole I dont know if it can be saved.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »
It can be saved - send us a pic, and we'll tell you the tools / procedure needed.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline ToyYoda

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »
Try this. There is a co. called "www.Pendergrasstool.com". They sell "Time serts" Ask for the "Big sert kit" It is made just for your problem. Any thing else that repairs damaged threads it a "Slinky".  Not a bad idea to tighten the header bolts after motor cools down on a fresh header install too.! Good luck
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:16:54 AM by ToyYoda »

Offline zukimoo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 06:33:23 AM »
I used Keenserts on go kart manifold bolts. This is after the stock studs ripe out and then heli coils rip out. These are pretty big and will hold a huge load. They are like a thick helicoil but they have these little prongs that you tap into place and it locks the insert.

There is always a way to fix it.....
85 SJ413K SUA, 30" BFG muds, 512's, lockers and DOHC soon...
81 LJ80, 800cc of pure power....Stock
06 Baja Buggy

Offline brentd27

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »
If you're really brave you could drill it out even larger, fill it up with your arc welder, drill out the correct size and re-tap.

Same basic principal as repairing a stripped-out screw hole in wood.  Drill out much larger diameter, find dowel rod that matches size of hole (or choose bit that matches dowel rod) cut dowel rod just a hair longer than is necessary, coat with wood glue, tap into hole with a hammer, sand flush, drill pilot hole and reinstall screw. 

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »
If you're really brave you could drill it out even larger, fill it up with your arc welder, drill out the correct size and re-tap.

Head is aluminum.  Most people don't have the proper welder for aluminum.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline zukimoo

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 02:47:32 PM »
The karts used to have the mufflers fall off all the time because the studs were stripped. I bought the head to the machine shop and welded in the holes and re-drill for the original studds. The same thing could be done to your zuke and the right person can do it with the engine still in the zuke....probably charge you more.
85 SJ413K SUA, 30" BFG muds, 512's, lockers and DOHC soon...
81 LJ80, 800cc of pure power....Stock
06 Baja Buggy