Hello Guest

Grille clips? Small parts not available through GM? (discontinued dealer item)

• 14 Replies

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
I broke the two upper grille clips on the 1990 Tracker grille when I was removing it a month ago.  Knew I would have to replace them when I start putting it back together right about now.  GM discontinued this item, no longer available.  Where can I find small, "insignificant" little parts like this that are still in good condition? I could easily bolt the grille or safety-wire it, but I want it easily removable like it used to be.   I haven't tried Hawk yet, but any other ideas?
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

xkmail

I got a whole grill on ebay for $70 brand new.
I went over to the junkyard and found the little screws and clips there, paid $1
I have a 1990 track also.
However i broke the geo tracker emblem so maybe I will put something else there.
Also my headlight mounts are goofed, oh well I don't drive much at night anyways

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
If you cant find what you need at a local junk yard, give Hawk a call ad 1-888-SAMURAI

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline fordguy79

• long beach Wa,
i have found them at auto paint stores  i work in auto parts as a counter man we get asked a lot and thats where we send them
87sami 32" bfg mt 6.5:1 w/reverse S shifter  1.6 16v sold and missed

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
My geo emblem was missing already when i got the tracker...better airflow without it anyways so I'm leaving it off.  (all emblems and side mouldings were stripped before I bought it)  The grille is still held in by the 5 screws, I put it back on with new stainless steel screws and larger stainless washers.  IUt's not giong anywhere, the little black clips just secure the top from rattling, that's all.  Kragen, NAPA, don't have them.  Haven't tried junkyards yet, but I don't see how I could remove them without breaking them: they look like a one-time installation kind of thing. 

i have found them at auto paint stores  i work in auto parts as a counter man we get asked a lot and thats where we send them
Where do you mean paint stores?  Any suggestions helpful.  Thanks for the replies so far.
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline ToyYoda

LOWES. They have the "push in" clips in sevearl sizes. Cheap too!

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
Hey everyone I found something in my garage, if it works, I will post some pictures on what I did here

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
Haven't tried junkyards yet, but I don't see how I could remove them without breaking them: they look like a one-time installation kind of thing. 

Just pop up the center portion a bit with a small screwdriver.  This pulls up a plunger that keeps the out parts spread apart.  Then wiggle it out.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
Here's what worked:  my dad removed a few "flush-can" ceiling lights from a house, and while stripping out the copper for recycling, I found these clips:
so I bent the tab flat, and screwed it to the bottom of my front clip crossbar, with a black screw, and it doesn't show, holds the grille up close to the body, and allows the grille to slide in and out freely

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
I used bailing wire.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

01 Tracker - OME Springs, 2" MK1 Body Lift, Warn 6K Winch, 18x9 Wheels, Rear Roll Cage and more.  95 Tracker with all Calmini bolt ons.  96 X-90 with mini lift and Super Swampers, this one has A/C and is an auto, nice.

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
I used bailing wire.
haha - my grill is held on with one screw and plastic ty-raps ;)

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
I didnt want baling wire or zip ties since I wanted it easily removable, but hey that works too!!! Whatever holds it together huh? 
I looked through those HELP! wall displays at Kragen and NAPA to no luck, never checked autozome though

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
There are mix and match of about 5 different types of clips/fasteners that hold the grille in...depending on what year you have.
There are the 2 piece type that have the plastic "pin" in the middle of them.  To remove them, you push the center pin in about 1/8", then that will release the fastener where you can get something under the outer edge of the head and pull it out.  To reinstall it, you pull the center pin out, put it back in the outer piece, until there is about 1/8" of the pin sticking out, push the fastener in the hole, then push the center pin in flush with the outer piece.
There are the 1 piece type that just push in.  Usually, you can get something under the head and pull them out.  But sometimes they will pull in two, or strip the outer "hairs" off and they won't hold when you reinstall them.  To reinstall, you just push them in the hole.
There are a couple of variations of the type that djlantis57 was trying to find.  They are plastic and the one type will usually break every time the grille is removed.  The other type, you can usually take a thin flat blade screwdriver and gently push down on the center "hump", so as not to break the clip or the grille, and gently pull on the grille and it will pop out (the clip stays in the grille surround).
Then there are screws.  Pretty self explanitory on removal and installation.

As some of you have noted, some of these can be found at auto parts stores or other places.  And some are next to impossible to find.
When I was looking for the 1 piece type that just push in and pull out for my Ranger, I could actually buy them cheaper at the dealer than at the auto parts store.

BTW, djlantis57, excellent find on the metal clips.  Those should last forever and look like the grille should be much easier to remove than with the plastic clips.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:00:36 AM by Skyhiranger »
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
Yup it is!  I removed it three times since then and I'm 3 for 3 not breaking anything.  I broke the plastic clips the first time cause I didn't know what I was doing.  And the "plastic weld" wasn't gonna hold them together, so I had to improvise.  I still had 5 screws holding the grille in anyways