Hello Guest

samurai won't start

• 11 Replies

samurai won't start
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »
It's a 88.5 samurai with a brand new weber carb electric fuel pump brand new MSD coil new cap,rotor,wires,and plugs. All of a sudden one morning it won't start. It is getting gas to the carb and it has spark but it won't start. It has been running fine for months with all the new componets and then today it won't go. Any ideas on what it could be?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: samurai won't start
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
I would swap your stock coil on first, see if that fixes it.  We have had more problems with the MSD setup...
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:00:17 AM »
I swap the old coil on and still no start i think it might be a stuck valve is there anything else i could check. It's getting gas and has spark.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:50:50 AM »
Did you change anything immediately before it stopped starting?  A stuck valve should not keep it from starting.  It will start/run on 3 cylinders, not good, but it will run and drive.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »
Did you change anything immediately before it stopped starting?  A stuck valve should not keep it from starting.  It will start/run on 3 cylinders, not good, but it will run and drive.
Didn't change anything recently i'm going to do a compression check next. I pulled the valve cover off and noticed one of the phillips bolts is missing and its not in the head anywhere so it must of fell down somwhere.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »
Didn't change anything recently i'm going to do a compression check next. I pulled the valve cover off and noticed one of the phillips bolts is missing and its not in the head anywhere so it must of fell down somwhere.

The phillips screws getting loose and falling out of the top of the head is pretty common.  It likely fell down into the oil pan (although I have occasionally found them in around the valves....usually covered in oil, so you have to use either your finger or a magnet to locate them) and got flushed out when you did an oil change.  Those being missing shouldn't keep it from starting either....they just make the oil pressure lower than normal.
It could be that your timing belt has jumped a tooth.  You'll have to pull the front timing cover to verify.
Are you getting a "hot" spark (white or blue color)?  If you are getting an orange spark then you probably have a spark problem.  Where are you checking for spark?

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:47:29 AM »
I am checking the spark at the plugs and it seems fine. I pull the timming belt cover and see if it jump.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:53:20 AM »
I am checking the spark at the plugs and it seems fine.

Ok good.  So you are shorting the plug out on the engine and watching the spark plug actually spark......that's good.  That verifys you are getting good spark clear up to, and through, the plugs.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »
got it to start but it stalls out and back fires through the carb violently

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »

Did you change/adjust anything to get it to start?

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »

Did you change/adjust anything to get it to start?
Nope i put the cap and wires back on put the plugs back in and tried it and it fired up i did not adjust anything. I dont know why it started back up because nothing was changed from before. I'am very puzzled.

xkmail

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »
I would put a timing gun on it and double check spark plug wires are in correct order.
Perhaps a cracked rotor cap?
perhaps the timing belt is loose and skipped a few teeth too.
Verify compression test.
You can also heck ohms on spark plug wires for high resistance, maybe one got overheated.