Hello Guest

How to turbocharge a 16V Trackick

• 24 Replies

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: How to turbocharge a 16V Trackick
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »
I have run a turbo on my 8V for over a year now with no issues associated with the manifold air pressure sensor.  It is a mild pressure system (Nothing over 6 psi).  Have others had problems with this?  I don't understand how the MAP sensor cannot go over/below atmospheric pressure, isn't it designed to read the fluctuations in manifold pressure while the engine runs?

You have to understand the difference between absolute pressure and vacuum. Atmospheric pressure is approx. 1bar (14.5 psi) which is the maximum a MAP sensor can read. When the engine is under load it produces a vacuum in the manifold and the absolute pressure drops. Under boost there will be an increase in pressure which will take the absolute pressure beyond 1 bar. A N/A motor can never go above 1 bar, a turbo motor running 14.5 psi of boost will have an absolute pressure of 2bar.
Either you aren't making enough boost to go over atmospheric or your MAP is maxed out but not throwing a code. If its maxed out then the ECU is not controlling fuelling during boost.
This maybe because most MAP sensors have an output of around 0.7 to 4.7V, so your diagnostic test could be below 0.7V or above 4.7V is a failure, I would have to go back and check the software in mine to see if that seems right. Which ECU do you have?
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »
The stock MAP will throw a code at about 8 PSI boost, but it only triggers the  dash light
for a few seconds until the boost drops, then it goes out. If you can plot the MAP at varied
boost and vacuum levels it might be possible to change to another MAP, like the one in the
MegaSquirt  ECM that can do all conditions, now weather the stock ECM can use the info
is another story, but when the pressure goes to 1 bar or more the puter richens up the mix

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 10:46:13 PM »
I Like it...would be interested to see it in person.  Too bad you live 3000 miles away from me. 

I DID see it!!  His whole rig looks like a million bucks!  :o    And I've seen it walk over obstacles that completely trumped my Tracker.   ::)      My favorite part though, is how it rolls going round turns.....looks like it's about to fall over!   :P

Great write up Mike!   Are we still going to run the pineys again next year?  I might try to throw some more power and traction at the little tracker!

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
Always ready to run the Piney's Tony, anytime of year. Your always welcome here bud.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 10:40:40 PM »
Awesome!    Well both the Tracker and my sweet "new to me" Ford F-150 need a bit of work.....so it's gonna be a while till I'm ready for the pineys.  But I'm definitely coming out there to do that again!

The plan is, to tow the Tracker with my truck, so I can be more aggressive in that sand that is so fun to play in.  Then it really doesn't matter if I tear the cv's out of it.   :P

Oh...and I never did check or change any of my gear oils or fluids since our first trip...and a bearing or two near the rear end finally kicked the bucket.   ::)

Offline KJMac

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 10:51:27 AM »
What year are the nissan pathfinder injectors? Are they for the 3.0 and or 3.3L. Thanks,
KJ
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 06:13:31 AM »
Late 90's 3ltr v6.

Offline KJMac

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 10:53:06 PM »
Thanks bentparts, easy to find!
KJ
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 04:08:05 PM »
For the guy looking to turbo the 16v: Here it is.

Offline AmDD

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »
For the guy looking to turbo the 16v: Here it is.

thanks, looks like i have some more reading to do.  ;)