Hello Guest

Oh no! Clutch failure! Help! *FIXED*

• 2 Replies

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
Oh no! Clutch failure! Help! *FIXED*
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:14:27 PM »
As some of you know....I just came back from a little offroading adventure, and put about 300-400 miles on my 1991 Tracker in just a few days.  However, it was running and driving just fine.  100%.   All I did was wash it....degrease and hose down the engine...and leave it sit overnight.   I just went outside to move it, and the clutch won't engage.   It starts up and runs fine....but it won't go in gear.   And when I tried to start it while in first gear, it cranked over slowly and tried to pull itself forward, while my left foot had the clutch pedal buried in the carpet!   What's wrong with it?   Did I do something to it when I washed it??  Help plz.   Thanks!

-Mooch.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:32:38 PM by Lindenmooch »

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: Oh no! Clutch failure! Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
try starting in a higher gear w/clutch pedal depressed.
plate may be stuck to flywheel- usually doesn't happen overnight, but.....
i've experienced this w/vehicles that sat long enough for the c plate to rust to flywheel.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
Re: Oh no! Clutch failure! Help!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »
That must have been it, because it works now!  Yay!   Man....that's weird....I always use the transmission instead of the e-brake when I park it(on a level surface), to reduce tension and wear on the brake cables....but I never thought that the clutch could rust to the flywheel.  Damn.

Thanks for that quick tip.  I was starting to panic.