Hello Guest

Valve Replacement/ Seating

• 0 Replies

Offline zukizuki07

Valve Replacement/ Seating
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
While out on the trail about a week ago, my tracker started to miss terribly bad..... it has always been sluggish for a 16v and I knew that it was probably leaky valves. Upon it missing, I ripped out and replaced the plug and wire in my #3 cylinder with no luck of curing the missing, no dice, so I called up Lowrange and ordered a single exhaust valve.

Tore the head down, and found this  :o

wowza! Burnt, and split on one side, and burnt bad on the other.

all of the rest looked good, so no need to order more!

Then, Cleaned up the pistons and surface of the block, installed the new head gasket, and started grinding the valves.... needless to say, I didnt get lucky enough to have any of the seats not leak.... every single one leaked..... and leaked bad!

after not being able to get the right spring compressor, I decided to have a friend help me, and with 2 screwdrivers and a little luck, we managed to get all of the keepers out, and back in after the solid 2 hours of hand grinding the seats.....came out pretty well, no more leaks!

tomorrow I will re assemble everything, and put gear oil in my rear diff.... just finished my trailtough mini spool also :)

also, after ^ is done I will be converting my a/c unit to a more usable and practical source of "on board air" :)
96 2 Door Tracker
4 door springs, Calmini 3"BL , Trailtough Mini spool , 31's
Plans: Jeffs  diff spacer, bumpers, smittybuilt 8k winch and XL7 iron Diff. housing swap