Hello Guest

What all do I have to hookup to start ?

• 3 Replies

Offline RazBarlow

• It's Barney !
What all do I have to hookup to start ?
« on: February 09, 2009, 06:04:46 AM »
Here is the deal , I have a 94' track that I doing and a 89' sidekick for parts. The 94' needed a new ignition switch so i took the assy out of the 89 and put it into the 94. The 94' is a 5 speed and the 89' is an auto. So, I had to wire the small lever on the good assy so the switch would turn far enough because of the auto safety. Now, I put the old switch assy into the 89' . It will light up all the dash lights but will not turn the starter over. what do I have to jump or hookup so I can get this out of my shop ? I know it will be able to start in gear but I will be careful and this will not be driven on the road. It is just going to go in and out of the shop while i am stripping parts off of it.
What do I need to jump or hookup besides the main big harness clip that goes to the switch /
Thanks,
Raz

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: What all do I have to hookup to start ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
If the ignition switch wasn't any good that you pulled out of the 94, then it won't work in the 89 either.
The auto tranny still needs to be in either park or neutral for it to start, I believe. 
I think that lever and cable assembly you were talking about is so the auto tranny has to be shifted into park before the key can be removed from the ignition.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline RazBarlow

• It's Barney !
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:46:51 AM »
The switch actually worked fine but the tumbler was "screwdrivered" So, I thought as long as I have a good switch assy I might as well use it .
Raz

BTW: You are correct on the lever, it does have to do with the auto being shifted into park before the key can be removed.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:44:39 AM »
The switch actually worked fine but the tumbler was "screwdrivered" So, I thought as long as I have a good switch assy I might as well use it .
Raz

BTW: You are correct on the lever, it does have to do with the auto being shifted into park before the key can be removed.

Hmm, it should work then (I assume it worked before in the 94?).  I don't know of any wiring differences between the auto and manual tranny ignition switches.
Like I said, make sure the tranny is in either park or neutral....if it is, then it could be the sensor that indicates park or neutral is messed up (it's works kinda like the clutch switch does in the manual tranny).....if it isn't working or is unplugged, then it won't allow the voltage through to start it.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.