Hello Guest

Calmini 2" Lift upgrade or replacement

• 7 Replies

Calmini 2" Lift upgrade or replacement
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:30:28 AM »
I have an 1987 Samurai with a Calmini 2" Reverse Shackle Lift. I am wondering what the best approach is to increase the lift to accommodate 30 or 31's. My goal is to obtain better on road and offroad driving while upsizing to the larger tire size. I'm not real pleased with the rode as it looks like it has the stock springs but am not positive. I am looking at replacing the existing lift with the 3" suspension lift from Calmini. It includes new springs and shocks, etc.

However, I was wondering if it is a possibility or recommended to supplement the existing lift with new springs and shocks + the other needed items. Or ????

Any guidance on this is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for suggestions, comments, guidance

Offline homer74

Re: Calmini 2" Lift upgrade or replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
I use that same lift and run 30's with no other mod on mine.

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »
I've installed several Calmini lifts over the years. They make a great product. But... The ride quality with the springs is terrible unless you have your truck loaded with cage, bumpers, winch, tire carrier, and all your trail gear. Your best option at this point if you wand new springs is to get Old Man Emu springs with the correct length shocks and you would be able to clear 31s comfortably and be very happy with ride and flex. Go through Rocky Road Outfitters for that. They can give you the right length shocks for it at the same time.
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:44:02 PM »
At least 1/2 the 30" M/T tires out there will fit your lift with no mods at all (unfortunately, a lot of manufactures lie about the size they're selling you - most tires are smaller than advertised). Not sure which one, but Calmini actually has a kit that will bolt up with your SR kit. They have a "master" big lift (5"?) that includes both the SR and spring / shock lift, and they sell both kits separately for smaller lifts. Just look for the big lift that includes shackle reversal - then look for the companion spring lift kit, it should be obvious or a Calmini vendor can tell you which it is. But, I'd just buy the tires & see if they clear first. If your tire rubs at full lock / compression, either deal with it, fender trim (which is what i'd do - it's "free" and doesn't raise the center of gravity), or get a 1" body lift. Lifting 3" more to clear 1/2-1" of rub doesn't make good sense.

I've never been a fan of 30" tires. The jump from 29" (aka 235/75/r15) to 30" doesn't seem like much - but it is. You'll notice a much bigger hit in power & MPG than that 1" is worth, and you'll DEFINITELY clear 29" with your lift. If you want bigger, make the leap to 31" tires (will for sure require trimming, or that extra 3" of lift) & re-gear your diffs or t-case. This will get your HP & MPG much closer to stock than 30" on stock drivetrain will. Look into alternate lifts though: Rears Up Front (search RUF) & CJ springs, or YJ front & rear are cheap & easy and probably last much longer than Calmini springs.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline fordguy79

• long beach Wa,
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:40 PM »
When using YJ spings  do u just get a set of 4 or is it ruf how does that work ?
87sami 32" bfg mt 6.5:1 w/reverse S shifter  1.6 16v sold and missed

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »
RUF you just get an extra set of rear springs and replace your existing front springs with a pair.

At the same time you will need a drive-line spacer and to move your shock towers forward a couple of inches, making it a great time to switch to new shock towers.

Most YJ kits replace all 4 springs.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »
RUF you just get an extra set of rear springs and replace your existing front springs with a pair.

At the same time you will need a drive-line spacer and to move your shock towers forward a couple of inches, making it a great time to switch to new shock towers.

Most YJ kits replace all 4 springs.

RUF lifts the front, but not the rear. The cost advantage of the RUF is that you replace the rear with CJ spring, and use springs from the front & rear (front to add stiffness for additional weight of engine, and rear for longer length / articulation) to make a new spring pack to use up front. You'll also need a re-location pad, or drop-links to center the front axle properly.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:58:32 PM »
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions posted here! Looks like I have some additional things to consider before making a decision.

Thanks!!!