Hello Guest

Another starting issue...

• 2 Replies

Another starting issue...
« on: December 14, 2008, 05:49:25 PM »
'87 Samurai- won't do anything when you turn the key.  No click, lights don't dim, nothing.  If I cross the post on the solenoid the starter motor spins, but will not engage and turn the motor over.  It has a 30 amp relay wired into the solenoid, I'm assuming this is for the "clicking starter issue."  Any ideas?

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Another starting issue...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:17:35 PM »
...Dead Bendix unit on the starter.   This is the doo-hickey that slides the starter gear onto the flywheel when you apply juice to the starter.

Time for a new/rebuilt starter.

If the "Clicky Starter" circuit will not provide power, either the solenoid in the starter is dead or something is wrong with the "Clicky-fix" circuit.  Most are sold with an inline fuse - that would be a place to start your troubleshooting.  If you have a multimeter, set it to DC and measure the voltage from the small wire that goes from the "Clicky relay" to the starter when you turn the key to start.  If there isn't any voltage, then something is wrong with the "Clicky Fix" circuit - blown fuse, dead relay.  If there is a voltage (>12VDC) the starter solenoid has "bit the big one". 

Again, new/rebuilt starter...

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Re: Another starting issue...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:53:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I will try testing it & see what I come up with.