Hello Guest

Power Steering Pictures Please!

• 8 Replies

Offline Z71Edge

Power Steering Pictures Please!
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:59:27 AM »
Hey guys, Im in need of some pictures of a Power Steering setup for a Tracker/Sidekick. I've got everything I need to add it to my rig, however I THINK I am missing the P/S Pump Bracket...no biggie, I can just order one from Hawk.

Reason why I need pictures is because I would like to see how everything is mounted and should run, including the belt. I bought a Haynes manual and it is about worthless lol...doesn't have any pictures to give me and idea of how everything mounts or how the belt is supposed to run.

Thanks!  8)
93 Tracker, 1.6L 5spd, 235's on stockers for now...

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: Power Steering Pictures Please!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:13:49 AM »
You need to have the PS steering shaft also.  It is somewhat shorter then the manual steering shaft.  It is a good time to inspect the steering linkages also.  When changing mine out, I pulled the upper joint (physically) apart in pieces.  Less than 150000 mi.  Fortunately the donor rig was in good shape.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Z71Edge

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »
Yeah, I got that when I found out. Here is a list of everything I have:

P/S Pump w/ Lines
P/S Fluid Resi w/ Lines
P/S Gearbox w/ Arm
P/S Steering Shaft/Rag Joint
Drive Belt for 1.6 with P/S but w/o A/C

The crank pulley that is on my motor right now currently is the double style...so I dont need that. Im pretty sure all I need is this mounting bracket for the pump that I wasn't aware of...

I just need pics to see how the belt runs, and how everything is mounted. I would GREATLY appreciate it!

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »
I just added power steering to my rig today. Sorry no pictures, but its impossible to screw up. The pump bracket mounts right in front of the oil filter. 2 lrg bolts in the side and one smaller one in the front. Pump mounts to that with 1 long thin Bolt ( the pivot for belt adj.) and one small bolt in the slotted flange ( to set belt tightness.). Steering box and shaft are just swap outs. I did have to make a second trip to the wreckers because where the reservoir mounts there are several options. I went back and got the rad mount which had the appropriate flange to attach the reservoir to. The hoses will only hook up one way.

Good luck!

Offline Z71Edge

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:11:30 AM »
Yeah...I kinda figured that it was a no brainer to put on...Im just wondering if all I need now is just the P/S pump bracket or if they're any others I am missing. I've gotta get some of the hardware too. I was also unsure on how the belt is now going to run. Thats why I am requesting pictures. Thanks for the reply though, it'll help me and others out later Im sure  8)

So could anybody snap a few pics for me of the P/S on there tracker?  ???

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »
 The lower pump bracket bolts to the front of the oil pump and the lower bolt holes on the side of the block in front of the oil filter. There is just that one bracket if you don't have AC. The brackets for 8V and 16V are different. About 1/4" front to back offset difference. Make sure you get the bracket for your engine.
 You need the steering shaft for your year frame with PS. And make sure you have the dual belt crank pulley. Some were a harmonic balancer and some were just a pulley.
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

Offline Z71Edge

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 05:29:26 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys! Someone over on Zuwharrie posted up a pic of how the belt setup should look when I am done so Im set now. Just need to order a bracket and hardware from Hawk. Thanks again!

Oh, if anybody is looking for a pic of the belt setup I was requesting, here's the link...
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?action=dlattach;topic=91346.0;attach=98589

Offline locjaw

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 04:09:45 PM »
sorry, i couldnt help it

bet he dont need power steering, but he prolly needs help wiping his butt
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »
dude that is sick............