Hello Guest

no spark im stumped

• 10 Replies

Offline lostsamurai

• LOSTSAMURAI
no spark im stumped
« on: May 24, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »
heading to work yesterday and the engine died i thought the timing belt broke, but i got it home and checked into it its a 91 tracker with the 8 valve and throttle body it used to tick kinda when the key was on like the fuel pump or regulater now nothing when you first turn the key on gas comes out of the throttle body return and then stops i think this is normal so i checked the spark plug no spark checked the wire nothing not sure how to check the coil but a test light says there is power to both wires going into it not sure what to check now any ideas?
88' Zuk 16v efi full width dana 44 axles and 37"s,hybrid exo cage, comp cut rear -18", F&R fox air shocks , jegs poly seats, sk automatic trans, 6.5:1 t case, twinsticks, 100" wheelbase with a 79" wide.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
Re: no spark im stumped
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »
Check the ground wire from the battery - especially where it connects to ground. Open up the cap and see if everything looks okay in there. Not really sure how to test the coil or ecu - sorry :(
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:42:14 PM »
Put your test light on the coil wire and the other end to ground. Crank the engine and see if the test light flashes. Try on both wires - no flash means you are not getting a signal to the coil. Could be the pick up in the distributor or the wiring.

Derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline lostsamurai

• LOSTSAMURAI
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »
i put the coil in my sami and it fired right up i also tried swapping the relays everything works pulled the dizzy everything looks good, im limited as to what i can swap my sami has a 16 valve 1.6 and the track only has the 8 valve id really like to swap in the ecm im almost definate thats the prob i pulled it apart and there is a smoke spot in the corner of the lid and some burnt stuff on the green board, ther is no junk yards in southern utah i have 4 16 valve ecm's if some one has an 8 valve we can swap numbers and see if they will work mine are all 93 and 94 sidekick jlx 16 valve type. but i really need an 8 valve ecm asap  :-X
88' Zuk 16v efi full width dana 44 axles and 37"s,hybrid exo cage, comp cut rear -18", F&R fox air shocks , jegs poly seats, sk automatic trans, 6.5:1 t case, twinsticks, 100" wheelbase with a 79" wide.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
Have you checked the fuses?

I believe that there is a fuse for the ignition circuit - at least there is one for the carbed version and the circuit drawing for the 90-92 Samurai (http://www.acksfaq.com/90-92Samurai_SSM.php Second item from the bottom of the page).  My fuse popped while delivering pizza once!  It turned out to be the ignitor in the distributor on my truck but you problem might be something else.  If it is the ignition fuse at least you have some sort of idea where to start looking...
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline lostsamurai

• LOSTSAMURAI
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »
this is a 91 tracker 8 valve im pretty sure ive checked every fuse under dash and under hood thew weird part is there is power to the coil pack but nothing coming out but when i put the copil in another vehichle it runs fine :(

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:32:01 AM »
i put the coil in my sami and it fired right up i also tried swapping the relays everything works pulled the dizzy everything looks good, im limited as to what i can swap my sami has a 16 valve 1.6 and the track only has the 8 valve id really like to swap in the ecm im almost definate thats the prob i pulled it apart and there is a smoke spot in the corner of the lid and some burnt stuff on the green board, ther is no junk yards in southern utah i have 4 16 valve ecm's if some one has an 8 valve we can swap numbers and see if they will work mine are all 93 and 94 sidekick jlx 16 valve type. but i really need an 8 valve ecm asap  :-X

I would say it is the ECM.  I just had this problem this weekend in my samurai.......I would be driving along and it would die just like you just shut the key off.....it would crank over fine, the fuel pump was working but no spark from the coil.  I thought at first it might be a relay or the coil or ignitor, but they appeared to test out fine...............I swapped in another ECM and it has ran fine ever since.

8V and 16V ECMs are not interchangeable.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline lostsamurai

• LOSTSAMURAI
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:05 PM »
im looking for an 8 valve ecm but wrecking yards are slim in southern utah and money is tight i have a couple 16 valve ecm's i would trade one straight across if some one was intrested or i could come up with some cash please if you have one or know of one let me know

Offline RHodge

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
are you sure the belt is ok I'v seen them lose a few teeth and the car not run  ???

Offline lostsamurai

• LOSTSAMURAI
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »
like slipped belt? i dunno either way the dizzy is turning and there is no spark at all

Offline RHodge

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
like slipped belt? i dunno either way the dizzy is turning and there is no spark at all

Yeah sliped belt, but if it did you get some spark so that out