Hello Guest

Optima blue top

• 8 Replies

Offline johngat

Optima blue top
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »
Hey everyone , I am new to this site and , I wanted to ask Your opinion on Optima blue top batteries . I came across a really good deal Today , in fact , it was a freebie . I was asking our battery Rep. Today about what kind of batteries He carried on His truck and , He was showing Me some of their better ones and , We got to talking about Optimas , anyway , He told Me that He took a couple in for warranty and , one of them was still good He thought ......... Well , one is good so , He gave it to me . I figure I scored big but , I got to thinking about it and , wasnt sure if it would be good to use or not . I recently bought one of the 8000 lb . Smittybilt winches and , I am about to do the GM alt. swap . So , thats the question , I really dont see much difference in the Yellow top and the blue top . Thanks in advance .
'87 Sami , 3" Calmini lift , Currie tow shackels up front , 2" longer in the back , 6.5 to 1 Tcase gears , RRO Mega mount Tcase mount , Weber Carb , Trail tough ott steering .

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
Re: Optima blue top
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:14:58 AM »
If it is good then you did score big  8) and there is no difference between the blue and the yellow apart from the post style. I currently have a yellow top in my Kick and will be getting a large blue top for my Sammi.

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:01:47 AM »
I thought the blue top was more for a marine application?

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 11:04:03 AM »
ya blue top is marine, but that battery doesn't know what its in ;D
My buddie used to run nothing but marine battery's, they seemed to hold up just fine...other than they were bigger than the engine! haha

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:52:37 PM »
My understanding is that a marine battery is a deep cycle battery which essentially means you can  run it down low without damaging it where as a regular car battery can lose a cell if you run it down too low or too many times. I know that I've had regular car batterys last 10 years because I shut my lights off, close the glove box etc. where as my mother in law use to have her batterys go dead in less than  a year or two because she routinely left something on. Maybe she needed a marine battery.

-Adam ;D
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline johngat

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 03:15:38 PM »
Yep , Like cj said above , there is really no difference in the yellow or blue top other than the post  . They are both deep cycle and , the best thing is , it was free . I like free . I did put a trickle charge on it today and , its holding 13.3 volts , I dont have a load tester at home but , even when I checked it at work yesterday , it never dropped below 11 volts .
'87 Sami , 3" Calmini lift , Currie tow shackels up front , 2" longer in the back , 6.5 to 1 Tcase gears , RRO Mega mount Tcase mount , Weber Carb , Trail tough ott steering .

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:30:05 PM »
The blue and yellow top thing is a marketing tool.

I love Optima's  8) They just seem to keep on working.

Offline mic

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 07:01:22 AM »
If you treat your Zuk the way I treat mine with water crossings and puddle hopping, marine is a good thing. >:D
91 Tracker Calmini 3+3 31x10.5 swamper ssr
88 samuri 3" body 2"susp. 31x12.5 boggers sold
03 super duty daily work truck $$$$gas

Offline johngat

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:25:07 PM »
lol