Hello Guest

Nissan 350z engine swap into Kick

• 12 Replies

Offline Afer

Nissan 350z engine swap into Kick
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:22:23 AM »
If, and there is a huge if, I would thing of swapping a 350z Nissan with or without 6sp tranny and I would try to connect stock tcase, can I keep stock axles and drive shafts?

Any input is highly appreciated!!!

Offline Jookycola

• 1995 Tracker LSi 4x4 16v 2-door
    • My car domain site for the tracker.
Re: Nissan 350z engine swap into Kick
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »
It sounds like a cool idea...but would file this under "why?"  That motor has a lot of tq.  I'd say you'd blow out your rear end before you even make it down the end of your street.
  [/url]

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:08:23 AM »
It sounds like a cool idea...but would file this under "why?"  That motor has a lot of tq.  I'd say you'd blow out your rear end before you even make it down the end of your street.

Exactly. You can use the stock diff as it isn't necessary to swap them out. It's just a matter of how long will they hold. Now, a Ford 9 would be IDEAL.

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »
Toyota axles with V6 3rds all around.  I dont think you would bust them, and you wouldnt have to deal with a massive 9in.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Afer

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:46:41 AM »
Thank you very much for the input.
Will Toyota axles with V6 3rds give me enough torq on the output or should I look into a specific gear ratio? Plus, if I'll swap in a Toyota axle, do I nave to change a t case or I can keep the stock one? The whole reason I'm thinking of swapping for a bigger engine is because I lost a lot of torq on putting a lover gear ratio axle on stock setup...

Offline JoeCool

• Carpe Noctum!
    • cardomain
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:49 PM »
I think if you would run a Nissan Motor and maybe tranny that I would use a Nissan Tcase. Think Exterra or Frontier trans and tcase. I think a few of those exterras come with 6speeds and locking rear diff. Soundsd like a lot of work though. And by far not the most economicle option.   NMc

If your looking at running a new motor trans and axles you might as well have them from the same soure so that everything matches up and will handle the loads. I'm a pretty big fan of Toyota drive trains for offroad. IMO                                                                                NMc
5psi turbo '90 2dr 5spd 8v Tracker, Lt235s, 1" spacers, Rocker Rails, Warn Hubs, Custom half door,--GONE!
New, Sammi Tintop

Offline Afer

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »
Getting the whole setup will be way to expensive. I have a very low budget. So far I've found a complete frond end of Nissan, engine, ECM and all the sensors for 1200. If I would be swapping everything, I might swap the body as well...

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »
Are you good at fabricating? If not think about the cost of having motor mounts, adapter plates, possibly new input shafts, etc made up.. This kind of swap usuallly isn't easy on the wallet. Does your truck have the 8 valve or 16 valve? If it is only a 8 valve the swap to a 16 valve would be much easier on your wallet and would take far less time to install. Sure it isn't the same power as a v6 but horsepower costs $$$$$.

Derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:50:34 PM »
My buddy told me that hawk wanted 750 for a 1.6 8v, not sure if the wiring harness came with it.  But Trail Tough would have you covered.

The only thing a big engine in a small rig gains you, is more sh*t to fix.
Unless you have a lot of love for your rig or a very controlled right foot.

My theory

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Afer

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »
That is why I'm asking a lot of questions now and trying to collect as much info as possible before I do anything.

Amilla, would you please elaborate on fixing more ****? If I get the tranny with the engine and correctly match up the tcase and both of the axles what else I should know or think about?

derekj, I, personally not that good, but I got a buddy who will help me with fabricating most of plates and mounts for free. Mine is 8v and as far as I know, 16v is not a direct fit. I've thought of going 16v, but if I will have to work on rewiring and refitting for it, I might as well go for something bigger...

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 06:20:49 AM »
how about a 2.0 from the 2nd gen trackers...  way more power than an 8v or 16v kick engine.  there's a few guys that have done it.  just a thought. 
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 07:06:53 AM »
Well, if you're going to do that much work, swap up to the 2.5 or 2.7, which would still probably be only about 5% of the trouble the nissan engine would present.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline RHodge

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »
I think if you would run a Nissan Motor and maybe tranny that I would use a Nissan Tcase. Think Exterra or Frontier trans and tcase. I think a few of those exterras come with 6speeds and locking rear diff. Soundsd like a lot of work though. And by far not the most economicle option.   NMc

If your looking at running a new motor trans and axles you might as well have them from the same soure so that everything matches up and will handle the loads. I'm a pretty big fan of Toyota drive trains for offroad. IMO                                                                                NMc

you would have to use a 44 out of an early 80's Cherokee or build a custom axel, the Nissan t-case use a driver side drop for the drive shaft

sound like a job for later when you don't have a limited budget

would be fun thought
Ryan